Porthole catfish !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyf1971

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have four porthole catfish, purchased about a month ago, quarantined etc all ok, one of the group has always been less active than the others but still healthy, feeding etc ok.

But noticed one of it barbels is shorter than it should, Possibly has been purchased this way or unluckily broken off. Luckily it has no sign of infection.

But like corys do portholes barbels grow back ?

Have four porthole catfish, purchased about a month ago, quarantined etc all ok, one of the group has always been less active than the others but still healthy, feeding etc ok.

But noticed one of it barbels is shorter than it should, Possibly has been purchased this way or unluckily broken off. Luckily it has no sign of infection.

But like corys do portholes barbels grow back ?
I do not have any experience with those, but I have done a search on damaged barbels and found the same answer: As long as the barbel(s) were not damaged too close to the nerve ending, they should grow back with suitable water conditions. So you should be fine, but I hope that an expert can back me up on this.

The damage doesn't appear to be near the nerve ending so hopefully it will grow back

I bought a pictis catfish and the next day i noticed that his whisker(barb) was broken, it wasnt broken off... And it healed itself ...

Also that pictis catfish had a broken fin (as in the other half of it was gone!) , but it grew back...
So i think your catfish will do fine... Its just going to take sone time...

I bought a pictis catfish and the next day i noticed that his whisker(barb) was broken, it wasnt broken off... And it healed itself ...

Also that pictis catfish had a broken fin (as in the other half of it was gone!) , but it grew back...
So i think your catfish will do fine... Its just going to take sone time...
Yep, sounds like the catfish is gonna do ok. If it all possible, let us know how it works out!

Quick update barbs growing back fine and it's as active as the others :)

Back
Top Bottom