possible 70 gal goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mango

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my boyfriend may soon be getting a new 70 gal tank from someone at work who no longer wants it. He wants to make it a goldfish tank and I told him I'd help him get it up and running. The largest tank I have ever owned is 10 gal so I really have no idea where to start when it comes to large tanks and have a few questions.

What am I going to need to get filtration-wise? I've heard that canister filters are best for larger tanks, but don't know what would be best where goldfish are concerned since they are rather messy fish. Would more than 1 filter be best?

Since it's goldfish we shouldn't need a heater, right? Or would it be best to keep them heated slightly even though the temp of one of our 10 gal tanks never drops below 70 even without a heater (the one it had recently gave out and I broke my backup heater so it's been watched very carefully for the last 2 weeks and will be getting a new heater next week)?

Since it's goldfish, it won't be planted so no fuss over plant needs. Probably just some low-maintainance floating plants like anacharis or something.

How much aeration am I going to need for goldfish in a tank this large?

How many fish should, ultimately, go in this tank? I think it's supposed to be 1 goldfish per 10 gallons but I've also been told 1 goldfish per 20 gallons. So somewhere between 3 and 7 fish?

Thanks for your time!

Dan

No heater for Goldies, unless you expect the tank temp to fluctuate wildly or get below 65 degrees for a long time. I don't use a heater in my wifes goldie tank. Yeah, somewhere between 3 and 7 fish, depending on the size. Good surface agitation from filter outflow is all you should need for oxygenation, unless you like the look of bubbles. Since I put two canisters on a 55 gal, I would definitely recommend two canisters on a 70 gal. But HOB's can work out fine too.

If you are into fancy goldfish, esp. if you want to get into show quality/large fish, you would be wise to invest in a heater. Fancies do better in mid 70's & will grow faster in warmer water. You don't need anything big, a 100 - 150 W will do to keep the temp just a bit warmer than room.

Canister is good for this size tank, or you can go for a wet/dry, esp. if you are tending to overstock.

I would recommend a cannister and a HOB because of how messy goldfish can get. A HOB is easier to clean on a regular basis IMO. My goldie tank has two A/C HOB's with 600 gph turnover. The tank stays clear and it is overstocked. Goldies also really enjoy an air stone or bubbler. I have a large one on my tank and the goldies play in it all day long.

Back
Top Bottom