Possible co2 idea. Dragons den?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Basically you drill a hole in the top of one of these.

Clear Plastic Balls | Homecrafts

Then secure some tubing (couple inches) to the top using aquarium safe sealant with a non return valve inline. Add a cheap diffuser to the other end.

Unscrew the ball and add a sugar/yeast co2 mix. Place ball in tank out of view.

Make another one. Prepare and simply swap out when the installed one runs out.

Who will invest?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why not just make a diy reactor. That seems awfully invasive, not to mention.. what happens when what's in the balls blows into the tank.. ewww

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also don't think it's big enough to get much co2 production and no easy way to setup a bubble counter style yeast trap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why not just make a diy reactor. That seems awfully invasive, not to mention.. what happens when what's in the balls blows into the tank.. ewww

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well this is a prototype. The ball would have to be made of tougher stuff. DIY reactors look ugly and can be knocked over or leak all over the floor whereas this little beauty won't leak and is out of the way. Just say I'm out if you haven't got the 150,000 I need to get this thing going. ?

I also don't think it's big enough to get much co2 production and no easy way to setup a bubble counter style yeast trap.

Release would be slow. It would be for low tech tanks. I think production depends on ratios? Not necessarily size of container. Less volume means less total co2 but you just swap them over when it runs out.

Check valve? To keep it directional. Release only. I only ask because wouldnt it, if you dont catch it quick enough when its running low, take on water? As in the Co2 mix isnt reacting enough anymore so the pressure from tge tank is greater than the reaction inside. Takes on water through the diffuser to line to ball. Fill.... sink... and start leaking mixture into tank.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check valve? To keep it directional. Release only. I only ask because wouldnt it, if you dont catch it quick enough when its running low, take on water? As in the Co2 mix isnt reacting enough anymore so the pressure from tge tank is greater than the reaction inside. Takes on water through the diffuser to line to ball. Fill.... sink... and start leaking mixture into tank.

The ball would already be sunk using a built in weight at a point at the base of the ball to allow maximum co2 capacity and so it can be wedged to the substrate. You would have to build a very sensitive valve at the end of a special diffuser that allows the bubbles to open it but the pressure of the water on the opposing direction once the mix becomes weaker will stop water entering through the diffuser.

Any more? Cmon I'm ready to bat more away.

Yeah.... Do you have a design for said special valve. Youve got my attention.

What size ball for what size tank? How do you account for the footprint it will take up inside? How do you counteract this selling point when the hobby is going towards less equip directly inside DT? Whats your price point? Whats the production cost? Whats your overhead? Whats your guarantee if this fails to customer? Just a few starter questions.

Would you be concerned said weight will add to TDS? Metals will leech and could possibly leech into aquarium during co2 release. Could you house it in the plastic?

Will it be 2 stage to stop mixture blow into tank. Like a two chamber ball.

Yeah.... Do you have a design for said special valve. Youve got my attention.

Well it would probably be a flap valve. A tiny rubber flap valve that once it allows the bubble to Exit it closes immediately.

I don't have a design no but I've seen similar valves used in medical grade equipment that are working off very smaller pressures. You would just need to know that the force of the bubble would be enough to open the valve.

As mentioned previously, additional equipment in the tank is a big drawback. Too much of a footprint; would rather use the volume for fish, plants, etc. Would not be ideal for a nano tank. Even if it were hidden, the regular maintenance would be too disruptive IMO.
Reactors need not be ugly. They can be dressed up like a canister filter and mounted with brackets for stability. Or mounted in the back of the tank.

Basically it's a bust... it's not only dependant on ratios, size of container and water volume added to the mix play roles. You also didn't answer my question about the separator situation as this is totally going to equal yeast and sugar in your tank.

It's pretty tongue in cheek. If it was a serious idea I wouldn't be sharing it on here. It's bust. Was just an idea.

Didn't mean to sound rude either caliban, I'm very direct, rereading that sounded too direct.

Don't worry bud. Was supposed to be a bit of fun. Was expecting flaws but it's nothing serious really. If the experts can pick holes easily I'll put it on the back burner for now and make my millions some other way ?

Back
Top Bottom