Possible schooling fish with gold neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izabellecee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody!

I'm relatively new to freshwater fishkeeping - I set up my first tank over the summer of 2018, a 10 gallon planted tank with six little gold neon tetras. I then added a dwarf gourami, whom I loved, but who lost a battle to what (I believe to be) DG iridovirus. Since then, I put a male betta in the tank as a centerpiece-fish replacement, which was an enormous mistake. I had previously read that bettas can be added to a community tank, but the one I purchased was very aggressive and killed two of the gold neon tetras.

I removed the betta, but now I have four gold neon tetras, and I worry that they are stressed in such small numbers. The LFS I purchased them from over the summer has since closed down :)() and they're not available at any of the chains near me. I was wondering if anybody might know whether or not the gold neon tetras will school with other tetras, perhaps ember or even neons - options that I could find close by? I know their coloration is different and that's a major factor, but I really can't afford to ship in two to four gold neon tetras overnight from an online fish store. I attached pictures of my tetras - three of them are pretty bright orange, and one is a little paler (has been since I purchased them, the other two that were killed were pale as well, so no need to worry about its health).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• little cuties.jpg
    little cuties.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 87
  • little cuties 2.jpg
    little cuties 2.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
When I have mixed types of tetras, I've never really gotten schooling behavior from them. They sort of shoal together, but so loosely that you can't really tell that much. I had glowlight and neon tetras, and they were all pretty much all over the tank. A somewhat snarky family member suggested I buy an aggressive fish so that they would feel more insecure and start to school, but I thought that was a mean idea.

When I have mixed types of tetras, I've never really gotten schooling behavior from them. They sort of shoal together, but so loosely that you can't really tell that much. I had glowlight and neon tetras, and they were all pretty much all over the tank. A somewhat snarky family member suggested I buy an aggressive fish so that they would feel more insecure and start to school, but I thought that was a mean idea.
Your family member was correct. Idk about aggressive but a medium or large fish do tend to make them school.

Back
Top Bottom