Possible stuck cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently setting up new 33g and 55g tanks. Both are pretty much identical, and I have been dosing with pure ammonia to around 2-4ppm ammonia levels. Things have been going about a week now, and I am a bit puzzled by one tanks results.

The 33g is doing great. It is lightly planted, and is now getting the nitrite spike.

The 55g is not so hot. A few days ago, it registered low nitrites and like 10ppm nitrate. Now, it is showing no nitrite and nitrate. It still shows ammonia from my doses. Is this normal or has something gone wrong?

The only thing that I thought might be an issue are the rock ornaments I built. I used about half aquarium grade and half regular silicon. Now, when I say regular, I couldn't find any of the "normal" bad signs to look for on the tube. It does not say anything about anti-fungicides, and it is made for windows and doors, not for kitchens and bathrooms.

Any thougts?

I doubt silicone would stall a cycle but it is possible. I would retest, then wait a few more days and see how it goes. You could always remove the rocks with the silicone in question and redo them or replace them.

I did forget to mention that a bit of stringy algey looking stuff has formed from my "shelf" rocks. Will try to get a picture, but it is really light stuff. I don't think this would be an issue, but want to get all the facts out there :)

Back
Top Bottom