Post holiday tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyektulu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been away for a couple of weeks and I left my tanks in charge of a friend, I just asked her to come and feed them once a day as I find some of my fish are far too greedy to be left with a 7 day feeder, plus my dragon gobys love thier live food.

My problem is I have come back to my main 'show' tank with a thick coat of green slime on the top.
I have done everything I can think of.
Cleaning out 50% of the water once a week, putting new filter material in, making sure the filter is in top condition and feeding less. (I suspect she has been feeding my fish too much which started this problem.)

Any suggestions on how I can rid myself of this unsightly problem?

Also will this be harming my fish?

Thanks guys.

Don't replace all the filter media at once, or you will be throwing away the beneficial bacteria and your tank will have to cycle all over again. If the media is filthy, rinse it in a bucket in some of the water you remove from your tank. That way the bacteria will stay.

Partial water changes sound good.

Helpful fish feeders during vacation often get enthusiastic and give too much. Sounds like your fish pigged out while you were away.

Thanks Fearless.

I do, only wash the media out in a bucket of fish water and put some of it fresh, dont worry. ;)

I hope the slime goes soon, it isnt sightly and in m show tank its a disaster... all my prime fish are in thier and I like showing it off to visitors! lol

Is there something I can buy to help this go faster?

This is a thick coat of green slime over the top of the water? at the waterline? or is it an algae bloom (entire tank is cloudy)?

Can you scoop it out?

Tanks in distress, such as this, can also benefit from daily water chagnes of 10-20% (I think :))

Back
Top Bottom