Pot scrubbies bio home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking about getting 2 calvus cichlids this weekend for my 55g. You ever seen those? A guy in Houston is rehoming a couple

I have now. Beautiful fish, sir. I wish I could rehome another fish or two. But you guys have freaked me out about diseases to point where I NEED a good iso tank before I do.

I'm late but I'm here. My 75 gallon is over stocked with a sun sun 401 filled top to bottom with seachem Matrix. That's the entire bio filter, it mimics live rock in.... the ocean! I use foam for catching debris. I can see pot scrubbers being effective in that they capture the crap that bacteria thrives on so dirty pit scrubbers are going to work well. I use sponge filters as well. The sun sun filled with matrix was based on some moon bat came on here claiming that a canister filled with Matrix will eventually de-nitrate an aquarium. I bit. Couldn't tell you though, I threw my test kit at the neighbors cat last Christmas. Some 3 year old eba in there, some extremely old cory cat as well.

Hi All,

Need your help on two of my 2020 projects, hoping you can assist.
1. Have a broken 130G glass aquarium. Back panel broke. I have the tank glass all apart and was wondering if I can remake the tank but with a back plywood pane with pond armor or waterproofing rubber paint. Could you please help me in telling me if that even possible and will it hold strong for years. Also can the plywood panel be bit bigger than the back panel. I think if a bit bigger, I can silicone on both sides.

2. DIY canister filter but with with input and output 4 manifolds. Would like to run 4 tanks from one DIY Canister filter. I know there is risk of having a setup like this. These are all guppy and mollies, and I have tonnes of fry, planning to separate the sexs. But I can't make them to work all together. Only one of the tank works at a time while other stops. Have a vivo sun 520gph pump with With all 29g tanks kept side by side.

Looking forward to your responses and help.

Best Regards,
Shivam Dixit

On you tube, the king of diy makes plywood aquariums with pond armor. Check it out. Don't see why your project wouldn't work too. I'm in the process of building a diy canister for a 150g. Lots of tutorials on you tube for that also. I'm using a 960 gph external mag drive pump on a 5 gallon bucket. Personally tho, if I was connecting multiple tanks, I would consider building one large sump to run them all

You can def use the plywood and pond armour, consider using a sump as mentioned, it will simplify the process and give you endless options for.media configuration.

Thank you both. I saw those videos, and therefore planning to do those projects. Instead of throwing away stuff.

Question with tank rebuild:

1. I would like to have all 4 sides (Left, Right, front, bottom) as glass and the back as plywood. Should I make the bottom as plywood for more strength?
2. If the plywood is bigger(inch more); then I can silicone the back panel from both side; inside and out. Do you think is it an overkill?

Canister configuration: 5g home Depot bucket with trays of Guter Guard, Lava Rocks, Polyfill and Carbon. The last layer is for heater and pump separated with the eggcrate.
This has 4 Inputs/outputs connected via manifold.

Issues with DIY filter:

1. Right now it's working with only one tank. If I turn the manifold to turn for additional tanks then the working one stops and the other one start working. I don't understand why is it happening.

2. Sometime with this the canister overflows with water and starts leaking as it's unable to push the water to multiple tanks.

I think my canister filter is currently working as a sump. But the question is again with the output manifold, if it's unable to move the water to all the tanks then, the sump will overflow.
I think I need to understand the manifold to get this working.
Any suggestions would help.

Thank you both.

Best Regards,
Shivam Dixit

How long have you used these Charlie, in general?
I just bought them a few days before Christmas, this is the third filter I've put them in. A Hob, a canister, now this one. Not enough time to show anything, but I'll see if they work well in these 3 set ups, and keep this thread posted

I'm interested in how they stand up to long term use. By the looks of them it seems like they'd be used for high-volume mechanical filtration. Is that their purpose or is there more?

I'm interested in how they stand up to long term use. By the looks of them it seems like they'd be used for high-volume mechanical filtration. Is that their purpose or is there more?
Actually because of the pore size these do no mechanical filtration, only biological. They don't clog like mechanical media would.

Actually because of the pore size these do no mechanical filtration, only biological. They don't clog like mechanical media would.
That's what I'm wanting. I have multiple canisters on those 2 tanks, but these 2 little magnums stop up so quick and barely have any bio media area

On the aquaclear 110 I have on a 65g with little fish, mostly tetras and corys, I put a layer in there, then some ceramics that were already in there, then a piece of pinky floss

My earliest understanding of mechanical filtration was based on adsorption. Eheim sold 2 versions of it. Both were extruded, smooth, non-reactive plastic. It looked like string. The coarser of the 2, the green stuff was first in the filter. The second was the white version because it would reduce the size of the advancing material even further. Next, I used a bag of chemipure carbon, then filter floss. ALL smashed into a Eheim cannister.

Of course things don't work well this way, but it seemed fine at the time. I got this "knowledge" from the Old Town Aquarium in northern Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom