Pot scrubbies bio home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliebankston

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked up some untreated pot scrubbers at the Dollar General store today. 6 for $1. If your so inclined to use them and have a DG close20201220_135426.jpg

I converted about a year ago. All true on the web site and I've never looked back.

That's the second place I saw them. Next weekend I'll slowly start changing my canisters over. I have 13, so it'll be a slow process, lol

I think I mentioned this before, just cleaned my canister for the second time in one year. I can go to 8 months probably with full flow too. Just like the author said, crystal clear water all the time now. Amazing...

Yeah, in gonna try that. I was cleaning monthly, but I just discussed that with my wife after we bought the scrubbies. I'm curious to try that too

Our old lady neighbor is concerned they'll install a tracker in her arm with the covid vaccine, haha haha! I told my wife, let them install one on me, I'd bore them to death after half a day. "What's he doing now?" " still sitting in his recliner sir " ahhhh... good times

Haha! That's a boring movie, js
Ha, yeah. My Sunsun 303B is going on over 10 years with never an issue. As for my HOB's I filled the bottom half with 10 ppi Poret foam and the top half with 20 ppi Poret foam. My conversations with Dr. Tanner at Swiss Tropicals says this is better than the 30 ppi because you only have to do a quick rinse every 6-10 months on these. The 30 ppi may go to 4 months, according to him.

Hey guys/canister experts,
l have a fluval 406 and 205 that I want to get running again after they've been shut down for a few years. The issue is, I dont trust their ability to not leak. A few weeks ago I hooked up the 205 after lubing up the seal gasket with petroleum jelly. It leaked bad. The 2 locking clamps didnt feel as though they were tightly clamping the top to the canister. Should I just order a new gasket.. Is it that simple? Also, can an inline CO2 diffuser work with the accordion style hose that fluval comes with?
I want to hit up the Dollar General for scrubbies and get these cans flowing again soon!

Not sure about the co2 question, but I did replace a gasket on one of my leaking sunsun canisters and it fixed the issue. Cheap fix. I would try that first. They're too expensive to throw away, and those fluvals work great

Ha, yeah. My Sunsun 303B is going on over 10 years with never an issue. As for my HOB's I filled the bottom half with 10 ppi Poret foam and the top half with 20 ppi Poret foam. My conversations with Dr. Tanner at Swiss Tropicals says this is better than the 30 ppi because you only have to do a quick rinse every 6-10 months on these. The 30 ppi may go to 4 months, according to him.
OK, cool, thanks for that. Like I said, I'm going scrubbies and foam in mine. I have a boatload of different type ceramics that'll ill eventually (prob next year) rehome

Ok thanks. Just ordered the 2 gaskets on Amazon and shockingly they'll be here tomorrow. Every other vehicle on the road is an Amazon Prime vehicle.
I'll do some testing and get back about the inline CO2 diffuser findings.
Not sure about the co2 question, but I did replace a gasket on one of my leaking sunsun canisters and it fixed the issue. Cheap fix. I would try that first. They're too expensive to throw away, and those fluvals work great

Is there an obvious plus, beyond price, for using these as opposed to issue foam pads?
On fishwonder's web site, I read where the most effective bio homes were foam and scrubbies. The least effective were ceramics, matrix and lava rock. All of which I have in my canisters. Figures. I'll slowly switch them over to just foams and scrubbies. For years I've been dubious about the benefits of ceramic rings anyway

Back
Top Bottom