Powder blue gourami and a cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pls1210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have done some research myself but I wanted some opinions from people who have some experience. I was at the LFs today and bought 4 mystery snails and a powder blue gourami (he was all alone the only one in the whole store and he was just beautiful so I had to get him). I originally went looking for some cichlids. I have a 30 gallon tall tank with no fish in it as of now. My question is are there any cichlids that I could get that would get along with the gourami?

That's an estimate it's pretty close I can't remember the exact dimensions.

That would be quite a bit more than 30g.

ANy chance it is 24x12x24?

Either way, I have some bad news. Unless you Gourami is a dwarf gourami that is too small of a tank for it.

25" length x 12 wide x 19" tall I found a tape measure.

So there are a few cichlids you could put in there but still too small for a full sized gourami. If it is a dwarf gourami, they can be mean and I would probably not try to combine them with cichlids.

It is a powder blue dwarf gourami and when I looked it up before I bought it I read that they had a peaceful temperament.i would not have bought it if I had of known they were aggressive.

In your opinion what would be the best cichlids to try? I have another empty 30 gallon tank I can set up just in case they don't work out.

Dwarf gouramis are a strange fish in that they have a very varied temperament. Some are peaceful but many are not at all. Your could be fine but I wouldn't put a cichlid in there with him until you have had time to see him interact with other fish.

They had him in a tank with dojo loaches and black skirt tetra but he was the only powder blue gourami they had in the whole store.

Yeah there's only one way to find out what kind of fish you have. I would try dwarf cichlids with a DG in a tank that size.

In your opinion what would be the best cichlids to try? I have another empty 30 gallon tank I can set up just in case they don't work out.
Probably and Apistogramma species. They will stay near the bottom and not compete with your gourami too much.

Blue rams or a single angelfish would also fit in your tank but I would worry about them with your gourami.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415394493.157530.jpg

They had the name as an electric blue gourami. When I looked it up it called him a powder blue dwarf gourami.

Back
Top Bottom