Power Blue Dwarf Gourami tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lind715

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I plan to set up a 20 gallon tank soon that will be heavily planted. Originally, I was going to make the main fish a betta but I saw some powder blue dwarf gourami at my local pet store and I really like the look of them. They are supposedly less agressive and I wouldn't have as much to worry about with other tank mates. I want to figure out now what a good assortment for a community tank would be for this fish.

First question: my research on the Internet has come up with conflicting information so I would like some advice as to whether or not I can have a pair of dwarf gourami in this size tank? If I can, is it preferable that they be the same color or can they be different?

The next question: would a school of six cardinal tetra, a school of six guppies (all male because they would quickly over populate the tank lol), and some red cherry shrimp for the gourami to hunt be too much? If I can only have one gourami, I would probably increase the number of guppies and tetra. I have a ten gallon tank that I will be breeding red cherry shrimp and add them into the 20 gallon tank. If the gourami won't hunt the shrimp enough, is there another singular peaceful fish that I can add that would be happy to feed on the shrimp?

Final questions, what are the best plants to stock this tank with and how fine of a gravel/ what brand would you recommend? I am planning to buy a light that will provide plentiful watts per gallon and I will be using liquid fertilizer, liquid co2, and root tabs. The tank is 12×12×30.

Dwarf gouramis are highly variable in personality. It would definitely be a risk to put two of them in a 20l. I have seen them be totally peaceful community inhabitants and also seen them harass everything in the tank until only the DG remained.

RCS are an expensive live food but I guess if you are breeding them your self it doesn't matter too much.

I had a dwarf gourami that chases every other fish in a 29 gallon. Honey gourami are a little smaller but much more peaceful. Those you could maybe get 3, just one male. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Dwarf gouramirange in temperament. Generally, a single one would be okay with those tank mates.

There is a good fish store near me that is not a chain where I plan to get my fish from. Would they generally have an idea of the temperment of an individual fish with other fish? I know when I went to petsmart that the girl in there didn't know very much about aquariums because I decided to ask her some questions that I already knew the answers to just to see if I could trust the things she told me. That was a complete fail so I don't trust that they would monitor their fish well enough.

They may if they have had that specific fish for a while but often it will change with age and environment.

Sometimes you just have to try it out if you really like that fish.

I had 3 orange dwarfs in a 10 gallon until one of them died a few weeks after bringing him home. I the. Replaced the one that died with a neon dwarf. They got a long just fine. I saw a powder blue dwarf all by himself in petsmart and brought him home. I will say though he is definitely a bully. The orange ones chase everything but the powder blue is mean and has claimed a spot and won't let anyone near it. These Gus also live with blood fin tetras and emerald cats.

As far as the guppies I wouldn't put them in. I bought a pair of males and one died immediately. I brought him back and got another same thing. The gouramis killed 3 male guppies. It must be something about their fins considering gouramis are cousins of the betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a fear that they wouldn't like guppies because bettas didn't like guppies.

Its an individual temperament thing with the gouramis. I kept a gourami with guppies for a long time with absolutely no issues. Its really just luck of the draw, you have to get one and give it a shot.

Just remember all the different Dwarf Gouramis are same species and almost always they are Males. Females are plain Silver and stores don't carry them. So you wouldn't have a "pair".

Plus even true pairs may fight. DGs are similar to Bettas. Territorial and tend to fight their own kind.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom