Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking at a 40 gallon tank and need help in choosing the correct filter. Please help! :confused:

Are you looking for a canister? I think for a tank your size, it's a good choice. Eheim or Fluval are a couple of popular brands.

I would personally look at either an aquaclear 70 or 110. The 110 I guess might be a litlle overkill in a 40 gallon tank, but better to have too much than not enough. I prefer the aquaclear to the penguin biowheel filters. Much much quieter IMO.

EDIT: jus noticed the post by NoMoreGoldfish, but I just presumed from your title that cansiters is not the direction you were looking.

I would personally look at either an aquaclear 70 or 110. The 110 I guess might be a litlle overkill in a 40 gallon tank, but better to have too much than not enough. I prefer the aquaclear to the penguin biowheel filters. Much much quieter IMO.

EDIT: jus noticed the post by NoMoreGoldfish, but I just presumed from your title that cansiters is not the direction you were looking.

Can you give some ideas on which is a better choice? I have no experience with canisters.

Honestly, I don't have experience with canisters either, so it's not for me to comment on.
I think they tend to run a lot quieter than power filters. Also, they are far more versatile as far as filter media goes, and will also do a much better job of "polishing" your water.
Now, as I said, that's just what I think I know, so take all that with a grain of salt until someone with more experience with canisters comments further!

Canisters require less maintenance as well. When I had goldfish, I used two run a top filter and a canister simultaneously. With the top filter, I'd have to clean it out every week or two, but with the canister, I do it every three to four months. LOL.

Honestly, I don't have experience with canisters either, so it's not for me to comment on.
I think they tend to run a lot quieter than power filters. Also, they are far more versatile as far as filter media goes, and will also do a much better job of "polishing" your water.
Now, as I said, that's just what I think I know, so take all that with a grain of salt until someone with more experience with canisters comments further!

Thanks for the advice. :) They seem to be much more expensive. I am very new to the fish world so the easier it is to put together, the better. I'm still in the learning curve.

I have both.... If you want a hang on back filter (HOB) i would get the aquaclear over any other brand.. If your looking for something like a canister where you can hide it on side or in cabinet i would go with either fluval or eheim.. Personal preference is what it comes down to.. I personally have a eheim because i can mix and match filter pads and have it setup the way i want.

Like someone mentioned above, canister require less maintenance you dont have to change or clean for about 3 to 4 months where HOB you have to do wekly or bi weekly

I have both.... If you want a hang on back filter (HOB) i would get the aquaclear over any other brand.. If your looking for something like a canister where you can hide it on side or in cabinet i would go with either fluval or eheim.. Personal preference is what it comes down to.. I personally have a eheim because i can mix and match filter pads and have it setup the way i want.

THANKS!:thanks:

Cannisters require the same amount of maintenance, unless you like having all the crud from the tank hidden but still there. Anything inside the filter, regardless of type must be considered to be still in the tank. The big advantage of the AC filters is ease of maintenance and low long term costs since the sponge inserts last for many years.
For this setup, I would go with an AC 70 with 2 sponge inserts and the bio rings. Do not use the carbon, as it is not necessary for regular use.

You are right about the AC part but wrong when you say they require the same maintenance.. The oversize canisters allow for less maintenance because of the bulkiness of them.. I do like the aquaclear but having to check the filters weekly or bi weekly rather than say a few months with a canister is why i chose canister

So, if I went with the canister (Fluval 205), what all do I need to purchase or does it come with what you need the first time?
Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

Here is what the site says it come with:

• Filter Media Included - 2 Foam Pads - 2 Carbon Pouch (70g) - 2 Glass Biomax Bio-Rings (200 g)
  • 2 part Lock clamp
  • Reinforced Canister
  • Instant Prime
Anything else I would need? (for the filter)

Back
Top Bottom