Power Head for Poop Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 60 Gallon mbuna tank has a few fish in it and their poop is sitting on the black sand and quite an eye sore. Would using a powerless pointed towards the bottom stir it up so that the filter would pick it up? Also, would 2 power heads, one on each side of the tank create a good flow for the fish, they seem to like current, and would I need to turn them off at night for them to sleep?

Do it! You won't regret it..a hydor koralia 240 on each side.. they'll be just fine with the flow.. may breed on the middle though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That was actually the brand I was looking at. What would be the best positioning? One on each side and point them in which direction? Both towards the bottom or one up and one down? Or just trial and error and see what works?

Trial and error usually. Depends on your tank size and decor. You basically want to create a current that will push the debris off the bottom and towards the filter or power head so it breaks up the matter. I leave my wavemakers on all night. Doesn't seem to bother the fish at all. They can head to dead spots or in the rocks if they want to get out of current.

Back
Top Bottom