Power Loss Tank Backup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing - there's plenty of oxygen in the water to sustain the fish for a while, and ammonia just isn't produced at a fast enough rate to make any difference for short term outages. They restart when the power comes back on. For HOB filtered tanks it's important to keep the water level high to prevent the water from siphoning out of the filter leaving the media exposed, and also to make sure that the filter restarts properly when the power returns.

As long as the filter media is kept wet the nitrifying bacteria in the media will last quite a while. You're looking at days, if not longer. Mature media can be shipped the same as fish, actually it's a bit easier as it will handle a wider range of temperatures.

Thanks for the help, it never really worried me until about an hour ago when the lights flashed lol. Good to know it will be fine if kept wet.

IMHO, The only thing that can be usefull for heavy bioloaded tanks is a battery powered air pump for surface agitation.

You can get one for 15-20 bucks.

I have a CO2 injected heavy bioloaded planted tank, and I don't have this kind of backup. Survived 24hrs power outage, water went to 12C°. (-25C° outside).

I also keep battery powered air pumps.

The other thing you need to keep an eye on is ensuring your filters restart properly when the power comes back. I have seen HOBs get burnt out from running for too long with no water in them.

I also keep battery powered air pumps.

The other thing you need to keep an eye on is ensuring your filters restart properly when the power comes back. I have seen HOBs get burnt out from running for too long with no water in them.

Depends if the HOB siphon back to the tank while powered off. That wasn't my case, but sometime the impeller was clogged after a restart...

On my reef, the HOB protein skimmer tend to overflow after a power failure :p

Back
Top Bottom