Power out, will they be okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
A tree fell, I don't know if it snapped the lines or not. We don't have a battery, or a generator. Everything in my tank is off. Will my fish be okay? Should I insert a straw send blow after a few hours? My stock is as follows:

1x sailfin pleco
2x eclipse catfish
1x African brown knife
3x hatchetfish

My fear is that it'll get 90 degrees tomorrow. The fish have no air, and no filtration. The knife and pleco can breathe at the surface if they need, but I'd hate for my fish to die. I'm on my mobile on 3G, so I'll be able to see this... Thanks.

Updates/edits: It's storming bad. Too much wind and lightning to assess the damage, but trees are breaking everywhere. If we weren't in the mountains I'd be worried about tornadoes, but for now I just have to sit by the oil lamp and wait. The power looks like its going to be out at least an hour, if not all night. I'll probably be too worried about the animals to sleep until it comes back.

Yeah blow in the water because otherwise it will lack oxygen from no surface agitation. I have an Eclipse Catfish too!

The stock should be fine overnight. If you think it'll go more tan tonight, get a battery operated air pump & airstone. The important thing is to keep the filter media wet so your BB don't die.

No need to blow bubbles, just swirl the surface to keep oxygen exchange going.

Alright. This is my small tank, all the fish are 2 inches or less, will they be more susceptible to anything that may happen, since they're young?

Yikes, sorry! Just swish your hand around the water to create some agitation a few times an hour. I think if you blow into a straw you'll be blowing in CO2, not oxygen. :) You could also purchase a battery powered air stone (Walmart sells them in the fishing section; I've used it and they can be great in situations like this). If you have some ice in the freezer, you could put some in a plastic bottle or baggie and float it into the tank, that might help keep the temp lower; or if you have a battery powered desk fan you could have it blow across the top of the water. These are just things I've read though I haven't had to try them yet (knock on wood). Keep your filter media wet too (either toss into the tank or put it in some dechlorinated water) until the power comes back on; if it's in a separate bucket swish your hand around in the bucket now and then too to give the bacteria some oxygen. Good luck!

Thank you so much, Library!

Alright, put my filter media into a container with tank water, the tank's stayed at 79 degrees, so that's not too bad yet, and none of my stock has died. I'll go and get a little battery operated air pump if I can find one.

There's a heat warning, index is up to 115 predicted. More storms are supposed to be trudging over, but none as bad as the first.

Another suggestion is a power inverter. You plug it into your cars power outlet & it will give you an plug outlet to run something. They run @$30 at walmart. Though obviously this wont work if your in an apt complex or your vehicle is too far from the tank to run an extension cord through a window or door. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the replies. No casualties, power's on. I was going to do a water change today, but.. I have to see if all the bacteria survived me moving them/being half dry part of the night etc.

Back
Top Bottom