Power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank with 1 serpae tetra, 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 peppered corys, and 2 sterbai corys. I also have in that tank 3 java ferns and 2 anubias. Ill have more fish and plants later on but thats what i have right now. but If the power in my house were to go out how long would they last before they start dying? I have a well pump so if the electricity goes out im out of water aswell. So no PWC.

I was looking into solar panels(an interest of mine) and that question popped up thats why i ask.

They should be fine for a while if your going to be home you can stir the water to get oxygen into it or buy a battery powered air pump. Maybe even a week at most but after that waste in the water will build up and become high enough to kill your fish.

We have a big enough generator that can power the tanks, fridge, microwave, and in the winter can use it for heating the house. It turned into a god send in 2000 when we were hit here with multiple huge storms for 2 days and much of St. Louis was without power for about 8 days. At the time I had two huge reefs, which would have died without them. You can get different sized ones depending what you need them for.

Back
Top Bottom