Power Outage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm about to leave my house because the power is out and we have no heat. I'm only goin down the road to my inlaws because they have a wood stove. I'm afraid my tank will die, I have 12 black neons and 7 CPD and have to leave it!

Try wrapping it in some blankets to keep it insulated. Besides that you just have to hope for the best. Sorry, and good luck!

Float a Heat pack in a couple zip lock bags? Wrap it in sleeping bag.

Try wrapping it in some blankets to keep it insulated. Besides that you just have to hope for the best. Sorry, and good luck!
Agreed, try to insulate it.
I have been in the same situation and my fish were OK...I think I had serpae tetras and clown loaches at the time.

Try some blankets as the others have said. Also a good thing to invest in is a battery powered air pump; I got mine at walmart in the fishing section. It will keep the water circulating. Otherwise you should do it manually once or twice an hour to keep oxygen going.

You can do water changes with warm water which will also keep your nitrates down. I've lost power for 4 days straight and that's what I did and didn't lose any fish. I also agree with insulating the tank with blankets. Good luck

You can do water changes with warm water which will also keep your nitrates down. I've lost power for 4 days straight and that's what I did and didn't lose any fish. I also agree with insulating the tank with blankets. Good luck

I had to leave the house because electric heat is our only heat source right now and with a 10 month old it just got too cold.

Power just came back on a little while ago. I've lost some black neons and the rest don't look so good but there alive, can't see any dead CPD's yet. About to start doing a big water change with warm water.

Power just came back on a little while ago. I've lost some black neons and the rest don't look so good but there alive, can't see any dead CPD's yet. About to start doing a big water change with warm water.

What's the temp in the tank now? I'd just let the temp rise naturally, your fish are already stressed/weak. The temperature shock with the warm water could kill them

What's the temp in the tank now? I'd just let the temp rise naturally, your fish are already stressed/weak. The temperature shock with the warm water could kill them

The temp was near freezing. It's a 25 gallon tank and I changed 3 gallons out with warm water. Letting the heater do the rest.

All the CPD's have survived and seem to be doing fine. I lost 3 black neons and one isn't well, but the rest are coming around I think they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom