Power outage question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newcomer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will a power outage damanage the biologic bacteria? Also does any one know what type of air pume to get for a small 10 gallon and well run's off of battery just incase this happen's again?

I don't think it will damage the bacteria. The fish will still pee, so ammonia will still be released into the tank. The cycle will go on.
The filter and/or air pumps not running would be the problem. There may be a battery run unit out there, I'm not sure though. If you find your self in this position, you could take a straw and blow air into the water. Just don't inhale first, Bill Clinton! This will probably get you through in a fix.

this is what we used:

a Vector Power City unit. veco28ac
( we do these music/camping things like mini burningmans so we were very prepared)
you get it at auto supply shops.
it ran our 3 air pumps.
it has dual 12V dc outlets,
200W dc to ac inverter,
portable jumpstarter,
inflator/deflator,
removable light,
and is silent( x-cept when inflating yer airbed...)
and small.
Walked for 4 hrs to get home from manhattan to the fishies.
they were ok, but we hooked up the vector and all four tanks were fine thru the night.
it was like an oven tho, so we weren't worrying about the heater, will do a H2O-x tonite to help the water quals get back on track.
good luck everyone!

I'm also concerned about the bacteria--I have biowheels on my Penguin 330. Are the bacteria hardy enough not to die without water for 14 hours? I would imagine so, but could be very wrong...

Have to vent--the power outage killed my bushy nose, and one of my neons. What a cruel world it is! I tried adding filtered water ice cubes to cool down the tank, but they still kicked the bucket...

I didn't have to walk home, luckily, but I did have to tolerate extreme heat in Manhattan. Otherwise, it was actually quite a lot of fun. Everyone stayed out in the streets and talked. And you could actually see the stars and moon! Took a picnic to the park, too. Sorry to all others who lost fish! Hope all your family members are safe and cool.

Feh. Wednesday someone suggests I order a battery operated air pump and before I get around to it I need it. Go figure.

For future reference, if the electricity goes out and you have no USP (UPS? LOL) backup or battery operated pump, it is imperative you keep the filter/bio-wheels wet, and move the surface of the tank frequently. No surface movement = not enough O2 exchange, and dried out filter/wheel = dead bacteria. Apparently there is even a chance of killing the bacteria off if it just sits in stagnant water for a long period as it too needs O2 to stay alive. I spent 15 mins ever hour till the lights went back on pouring water in n out of my tanks and over the filters/bio-wheel.

Yes, I believe the biofilter will die without power for more than a few hours. I have heard of people using manual egg beater mixers to stir up their tanks periodically! My curious fish might be at risk in my case.. 8O

battery operated pump

:D When I first started my fish tank over two months ago I had also thought about what happens if the power goes out? I remember my mom aways worring when it did go out, we lived over 20 miles from town. So I ordered a battery operated pump which runs on two D batteries and lots of extra batteries, I'm thinking rechargeable batteries might be better if I can find a D battery charger. I have not had to use it yet. Do batteries wear out just sitting in the package? I have also worried about the biological filter also. If a battery operated pump is connected to my undergravel filter will that work out fine? I also have a hang on the back filter that has two filters. Will that be alright? Could you also take the bio filters put them in aquarium water and place them in the frig, or would that kill the good bacteria? Or should the hang on the back filter be taken off so when the power comes back on, say many hours later, so the water does not go into the tank form the filter box? I don't worry about heat loss during our very cold winters we have a backup kerosene heater, or trying to cool the aquarium during the summer months, we have air conditioners and we also have a generator, and I have gotten many useful ideas from the internet. These are questions I have been wondering since getting my fish.

If the power goes out, for several hours, all the good bacteria in all types of filters (bio, UG, and HOB) will die without oxygen. What I use is a battery charger (always plugged in), a good marine battery connected to the charger and a power inverter attached to that. I have my large air pumps (The Pump) connected to the inverter. We quite often have power outages here that last for several hours and the air flow keeps my systems alive. You could use this method to run any of your filter types. For a small system you could use a battery operated pump. (hagen has a good one)

I already moved my computer's APC battery unit to my tank (just in case). I figure that I'd rather keep my fishies happy than be able to boot up my computer.

APC's are a great idea they should be able to run a filter for quite a while. about the bio wheels you may want to try dropping them in a bag of tank water or putting them in your tank as long as you keep them wet they should be ok.

I have one APC on my 30 gallon and I have three APC's on my 50 gallon. One for each Emperor 280 and one for the air filter (for when the lights are out and the plants aren't doing their job). In this hurricane prone area, it's an incredibly cheap investment compared to the time/money investment involved in tearing down and resetting my tanks. Very cheap insurance...

Oh yeah...forgot to mention about changing the batteries in your APC's. They don't work so well if you don't change the batteries. You should check them and change them regularly to make sure they'll be there when you need them. I've gone for over 8 hours on mine before.

Last night I bought a Silent Air B11...it's one of those battery operated pumps...what it does it, you put the batteries in it, turn it on (with the air stone in the water) and plug it in. It doesn't kick in until the power's out. Then if you need to test the batteries to see if they still work, just unplug it. I feel better now that I have this...LOL The power went out for a few seconds yesterday during a storm while I was at work. I just want to be prepared!!!

yellowjacket171
Hey I am no expert but I know energizer makes a "D" cell rechargable and well another idea may be solar panel from a local automotive store, and then a power inverter charges the current so as long as there is power you can get heat and air for your tank..

Sesos:
I like the idea of fishy's over technology.. sweet .. 2 thumbs up for that

Back
Top Bottom