Power outages!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
We just had a nasty ice storm up here in Northern Indiana. Fortunately, my power did not go out, but it made me think that I better start thinking about the future.

What is the best thing to do to prepare for possible power outages to avoid fish deaths?

Danio - It's very simple. The same things you would need can be used to save your fish. A generator of a size that can produce enough power for a few hours is a necessity these days. I'm sure there are a number of folks who can share their experience from the vast blackout from 2 years ago.

I have heard of people having battery backups for their aquariums like what is used on computers. They had a specific size they used. I do not know much about them. Just an idea :)

We don't have a generator (I hope the power never goes out too long), but we do keep battery operated air pumps.

Battery operated pumps are a must if you don't have a backup generator. You can also throw blankets over the tanks to reduce heat loss.

After the December Noreaster that hit NY in 95, I was without power for 8 days. Of course I lost everything. I didn't set up another aquarium for 6 years.

I have a 500VA battery backup on my bigger filter & the heater which should run for about an hour or more.

Beyond that a blanket over the tank would help keep the temp up.. hope there aren't any more 24+ power outages.

why not go out and buy and APC backup system. They can cost some cash, but they can keep an aquarium going for quite some time when the lights go out.

Back
Top Bottom