Powerhead placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since everyone is on the kick of filtration and powerheads then I have a question. Where should the powerhead be placed in the aquarium? Mine is a 55g column style tank that's 30" long x 18" deep x 24" high.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Matters the flow you get from the filter. Personally in that tank I would put one close to the bottom so it would keep debris from settling

Matters the flow you get from the filter. Personally in that tank I would put one close to the bottom so it would keep debris from settling

Now I have a fluval C4 on my tank.

Also what kind and size is recommended for my tank?

Also what kind and size is recommended for my tank?

This would more depend on what type of fish you have, if they are not strong swimmers would stay on the lower side of things.
Usually for freshwater you want between 5x-10x the gallons in the tank moved per hour depending on biotope. IE Fish from fast rivers higher flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

^spot on there. Plus if you center it more towards the bottom of the tank, you don't want to dig up your substrate with a more powerful powerhead

If you get a powerhead, I would place it on a side pane of glass close to the top so that there is some water agitation for water oxygenation. I have mine pointed towards the front pane of glass so that the fish won't be bothered and so that it moves in a similar way to how my spray bar pushes water. I think it would be weird to have a powerhead near the bottom of the tank. In my opinion, it is best for water flow to travel from its source, down a pane of glass, to the substrate, and up the opposing pane of glass...then repeat the cycle. Also, if the powerhead was near the bottom of the tank, and you had plants, it would be hard for them to root in.

I wasn't meaning right next to the bottom. In my 36 now front, I had to position mine closer to the bottom then the top for the depth of tank is close to 21in. I run a bio wheel rated for a 75 an a Aqua clear rated for a 55 on different sides of the tank an debris still accumulated around an in the corners an the sand bed. By positioning it closer, it kicked it all up while leaving all the sand an plants intact.

I do get where your coming from on the oxygenation though. an if that was what you where looking for, your right at it being pointed at the surface rather then the sand bed

I do like the idea of placing the power head closer to the top. But I have a honey gourami that likes to hang out of the top.

I like the idea of putting it near the bottom to keep things moving. Even midway would make a difference.

I have a C4 it has plenty of output for oxygenation.

Caleb

I do like the idea of placing the power head closer to the top. But I have a honey gourami that likes to hang out of the top.

I have my powerhead near the top and I have two Honey Gourami. If you'd point it at the front pane of glass, your Honey Gourami will be fine. Why do you want a powerhead anyway? Just to get better flow, or are you planning on planting up this tank? I still think it'd be weird to have a powerhead near the bottom or midway on a pane of glass...

I have my powerhead near the top and I have two Honey Gourami. If you'd point it at the front pane of glass, your Honey Gourami will be fine. Why do you want a powerhead anyway? Just to get better flow, or are you planning on planting up this tank? I still think it'd be weird to have a powerhead near the bottom or midway on a pane of glass...

Just wondering always have ideas for my tank just as everyone does. Just want optimal circulation in my tank. But just my weekly wc's alone help with oxygenation too I would think.

Just wondering always have ideas for my tank just as everyone does. Just want optimal circulation in my tank. But just my weekly wc's alone help with oxygenation too I would think.

You could, if you wanted, place it a couple inches above the middle of the glass pane, and point it towards the front pane of glass so that water moves along the substrate.

Also, I looked up your filter and it looks like you're getting some surface agitation and around 5x GPH per gallon. If you think you're flow is fine and you don't notice any dead spots, I think you'd be fine to not buy a powerhead. If you see some dead spots and are really concerned about flow due to the depth of your tank, I'd get a small powerhead such as the Hydor Nano 240 to aid in water agitation and flow for proper gas exchanges. Also, about the water changes, yes, they do help a bit in oxygenating the water...but proper gas exchanges at the water surface with CO2 and O2 are needed. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom