Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2003, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Pre-used Driftwood Making a Tank murky?

Will driftwood that has already been used make a tank murky and dark? The driftwood has been used for about 1 1/2 years in an aquarium but has now not been in the water for about 5 or 6 years.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Did it affect water color up until it was taken out of the tank?
Old 05-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
It was from a friends tank who used it a long time, I have no idea what he did.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

When I got my driftwood I was advised to soak it in hot water over and over again to get it really clean. I don't think it had been in anyone elses tank but I got loads of red colour out of it. If the bit you've got hasn't been in the water for a while where has it been? - could be full of dirt/anything really.
I'd give it a good soak and wait until the water was clear before I put it in my tank - or maybe chuck it out and get a bit I knew to be safe for the fish.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its just been laying in a drained tank. Probably very dusty.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
I'd agree better safe than sorry, and give it a good soaking for a couple of days.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The color leached from driftwood is called "tannin" and while it is not very eye-pleasing, it does no harm to fish. Infact certain fish, such as tetras seem to thrive in tannin-filled water.

I do feel the need however, to stress that when adding new items to an established tank, you need to make sure they are "clean". There is really no telling what kind of "yuck" might be hiding inside used things. Especially if you have no idea what the health of the tank was when he had it set up. I agree with catfish1102... if the piece is too large to put into a stock pot and boil for a few hours on the stove... take it outside in one of your aquairum buckets, and pour boiling water over it for a few days, several times a day even. I have done the same with used gravel, and other inherited items, or things bought from yard sales.

Better safe than sorry, like somethingfishy said... nothing is worth the health of an established tank.

Tags
drift, driftwood, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com