Pre-used Driftwood Making a Tank murky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will driftwood that has already been used make a tank murky and dark? The driftwood has been used for about 1 1/2 years in an aquarium but has now not been in the water for about 5 or 6 years.

When I got my driftwood I was advised to soak it in hot water over and over again to get it really clean. I don't think it had been in anyone elses tank but I got loads of red colour out of it. If the bit you've got hasn't been in the water for a while where has it been? - could be full of dirt/anything really.
I'd give it a good soak and wait until the water was clear before I put it in my tank - or maybe chuck it out and get a bit I knew to be safe for the fish.

The color leached from driftwood is called "tannin" and while it is not very eye-pleasing, it does no harm to fish. Infact certain fish, such as tetras seem to thrive in tannin-filled water.

I do feel the need however, to stress that when adding new items to an established tank, you need to make sure they are "clean". There is really no telling what kind of "yuck" might be hiding inside used things. Especially if you have no idea what the health of the tank was when he had it set up. I agree with catfish1102... if the piece is too large to put into a stock pot and boil for a few hours on the stove... take it outside in one of your aquairum buckets, and pour boiling water over it for a few days, several times a day even. I have done the same with used gravel, and other inherited items, or things bought from yard sales.

Better safe than sorry, like somethingfishy said... nothing is worth the health of an established tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom