Predator tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J1Time

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am thinking of making my 130gallon tank into a predator tank. Thoughts? Most of the things in there now could stay as they will grow with the predators

I think it can be done.

There's few ways to approach this. You could do a school of predators for the frenzy feeling (ie Bucktooth Tetra), or have a one or two goliath predators (Pike Characin, Gar), or even a stealthy predator (Leaf fish).

Then you're going to need substrate predators too. That could be assassin snails and crayfish.

The plants could be the predatory bladderwort.

Be careful not to introduce too many predators because they will kill each other and that's a waste of money.

Should work fine with the right predator. Datnoids have some pretty neat patterning and are predatory, plus they tend to do fine with large tankmates.

Really want an arowana though I know it would need to be removed In a few years due to size.

Get a wolf fish.
A shovel nose cat fish

I believe wolf fish are illegal in the US, but it could only be specific states... If you went that route you'd need to verify first.

If you do end up with the arowana, I recommend making sure you know where it would be going once it outgrew the tank. If you plan on taking it to your LFS, check that they accept donations once they're that size. If you plan on getting a larger tank, make sure you start saving for it as soon as you get the fish, otherwise "I'll upgrade when it needs it" inevitably turns into "shoot, its too big but I can't afford the new tank yet". Most arowanas grow about 2" a month until they hit 24", then they finally slow down, so you'd need that new tank or new home pretty quickly...

They sell wolf fish at my lfs I live in nj and you can have them

Sounds like they won't work for me. Hate because I am in love with how they look

African butterfly fish would be a good option for the upper level. The Congo puffer is a really neat fish

Back
Top Bottom