prefilter sponge question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I use prefilter sponges on my tanks that have a sand substrate so sand doesn't get into my filter impellor as easily. Do these prefilter sponges provide much biological activity? I don't know if I need to be careful cleaning them or not.

Yes, bacteria will colonize your pre-filters (another benefit of using them). Gently squeeze them out in the bucket of tank water (after doing water changes) so you won't destroy the bacteria.

on the other hand, my prefilter sponges usually get so gummed up from all the crud, that they end up restricting the flow from the filters and powerheads. i usually clean them thoroughly in the tank+tap water coming from my python when i do water change. i rinse them until no brown stuff comes out. i figure that, between the 2 filters and my substrate, the bacterial colony will hardly be affected by the small loss from the sponges. i have never had an ammonia spike afterwards.

I've been thinking of using a small wet/dry vac to clean them. What do you think of using that?

personally, i think it's more trouble than it's worth. how big is your tank and how stocked is it? and how often do you have to rinse the sponges. i have to rinse mine twice a week--so a vac would be too much a pain. i really don't think you'll have a problem just rinsing them out--especially if you do it in tank water. jmo though.

The problem is that I sometimes don't think I'm getting enough of the gunk out. By pulling it out backwards I may be getting a little more stuff. The tank is a 100 gallon Hap/Peacock tank that has 12 half grown fish in it. I try not to overfeed and I never see a piece of food hit the bottom of the tank at feeding time. I have Filter Max prefilters on an XP3 and 2 AC 500s.

you might get more stuff out. i just squeeze the heck out of mine until they run clear. i did just change the sponges out for new ones (after 6 months). hey, if you have the time and the inclination, i don't see that it could hurt :)

I really wouldn't worry about saving much bacteria from the pre-filters. After all, you do have the actual filters collecting bacteria.

What kind of sand are you using? How far from the substrate is the input?

I use pool filter sand and the intake is about 3" from the substrate. I like having intakes at different levels. Plus, cichlids spit sand all over the place.

Have you pulled sand out of your filter before?

I have pool filter sand in our 150 with Africans and don't use prefilters. The sand is alot heavier than most sands.

I wouldn't worry about saving the bacteria from all of the pre-filters. If you have any intakes above 5 inches above the substrate, I wouldn't even worry about the prefilter as heavy as the pfs is.

Back
Top Bottom