Pregnant Black Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My molly has been hanging around the heater for a couple of days now she is hanging around the bottom of the tank and sometimes around the plants.She has really gotten big in the past week.I just got her about a week ago so I know she is pregnant but I don't know how far.I have noticed in the past 30 mins she has poop that is kinda clear looking with some dark spots in it does this mean that she is in labor.She really likes the bottom and the plants today.Should I move her to the breeding box know are wait alittle while longer.I really dont want the fry to be eaten.

The only time mine go hide is when they are ready to start pooping out babies.
I dunno what you have in the tank that will eat them... mine don't normally eat the fry.

Mollies are like bunnies, once you have 2, soon you'll have 50.
a few months later you'll have 500.
LOL

After a while you might be happy a few get eaten. I had given all mine away but a male and a female, and she just a few weeks ago had about 40 or so that I could count.

Last count I did I found about 25 or so and they are now to big to be eaten.

They are nice fish but jeeze.... now I have to adopt out 25 and shes bloated ready to replenish those already.
LOL

Back to your question.... mine are in a 45 gal tank with some black skirted tetras, a school of corrys and a giant pleco and an unknown number of ghost shrimp, plus all those mollies.... and only a few get eaten.

I wouldnt worry to much, if the fry have some plants and stuff to hide in and run to, most of them will be fine.

Then again some people do seperate the mothers to give birth and keep the babies seperated for a while.

You pick.

BTW, would you like 25 or so more mollies?
Free!

LOL

Same here. There are always fry in my tanks from my livebearers. I can't get rid of them either. Local pet stores are overstocked and won't take any.
The survivors hide in plants and decorations for a few weeks until they get big enough to survive in the open.
Hiding is a sign of birth time being near though. The small plastic breader tanks I have mixed feelings about. Yes it will save most of the fry but it is not good for mom and will stress her out.

Back
Top Bottom