Pregnant cherry barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cherry barb looks like it's a about to pop. The scales are even frilled out and it's bout 2x the width of my other cherries. I'm guessing it's pregnant? Does anybody have experience with these fish particularly with breeding them?

It is not pregnant they lay eggs. From your description it has dropsy. Either it is bloated or it has some type of diseaes. You may want to QT if you can.

Reactions: HN1
Yeah the scales sticking out is not normal in any healthy fish and is a tell tale sign of dropsy.

It is not pregnant they lay eggs. From your description it has dropsy. Either it is bloated or it has some type of diseaes. You may want to QT if you can.

Have to agree it's not pregnant, could be a disease like rich311k mentioned.

Here is a picture of a cherry barb with dropsy, if your fish looks anything like this or worse, it's probably dropsy.

img_1446648_0_a982cd70cab490f25d40fd010f2df303.jpg

Unfortunately, not much. Probably better for the fish if you put it down. Sad I know but sometimes it happens. I am sorry.

Unfortunately, there's very little you can do unless it's caught early and if yours is a big as you say, it's pretty advanced. You can try some water changes and quarantine it if you can.

Yeah it's all good :deadhorse: it is kinda sad cause i think it's been pregnant for a long time and then just today got all bloated.

Crap.... Yeah I found that pic too. There's basically no hope for it now is there?

Sorry to hear about that ... I agree that you may have to put it down ... I've read by the time you notice the scales extended it's usually too late ... too much internal damage.

I had to put down my Neon Rosy Barb a week ago ... it feels bad but we do it in their best interest.

Back
Top Bottom