Pregnant or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, she will have some more room once you take out the dividers. I still would not suggest letting her be in there for 4 days at a time honestly. Letting her out after about 2 days is much better. Every 3 days could be ok, but 4 days is honestly pushing it. Think of it like this, that container only has about as much room as if she put in a bag for transportation (like when she was purchased from the petstore), so how long would you have let her sit in the bag after purchase? But, its also a catch-22 since she will get chased around by boys when you let her out. Your fish, your choice.
I definitely suggest either rehoming a couple boys,or getting a couple of girls. You can always keep a few of the female fry once they are old enough to sex. :)
Another thought, I do not have that particular breeding box, so I am just asking, does it allow for water exchange with the rest of the tank, or is totally closed off?

It has holes in the bottom of it. So the water can get in and out.
And ok il let her out every 2 days. Max 3 days. Il just have to watch her with the males for now.

OK, just making sure about the water exchange because some of those tanks don't have it and then you have to swish in fresh water a couple times a day. But, you don't have to worry about that. :)
I hope it all goes well, and let us know when she drops. :)
Also, as for the food question, yes, the fry can eat ground up flakes. I have also used boiled egg yolk paste and Hikaru first bites. :) All those methods have worked out fine.

Ok, sorry, but "abort" absolutely does not mean wait, it means the same thing in fish as in people. It means exactly what the OP thought it meant. If the platy mom gets too stressed, she can push out the undeveloped fry/embryos too early.

i was always told that aborting is birthing too early or putting off giving birth for a while (like a few days) even after beginning to birth?

and i always change the water in the box by lifting it and tilting it out of the water so about 90% is flushed out, dip it back in so its full again, then repeat but tilt in the other direction. then when its full again it has all clean water and no poop or old food on the bottom, ready for the next lot.

food = crushed up flakes are good, first bites are great, tetramin fry food (what i use) is effective, egg yolk speeds up growth, baby brine shrimp has good protein. absolutangel04 has u covered :)
xx

i was always told that aborting is birthing too early or putting off giving birth for a while (like a few days) even after beginning to birth?

and i always change the water in the box by lifting it and tilting it out of the water so about 90% is flushed out, dip it back in so its full again, then repeat but tilt in the other direction. then when its full again it has all clean water and no poop or old food on the bottom, ready for the next lot.

food = crushed up flakes are good, first bites are great, tetramin fry food (what i use) is effective, egg yolk speeds up growth, baby brine shrimp has good protein. absolutangel04 has u covered :)
xx
Aborting does mean dropping the fry so early before they are able to survive. It does not mean putting off birth. :) the word abort means to quit, not to stall. Like I said, it means the same in fish as it does in people or in any other organism, getting a baby out too early so it can't survive.
I have never tried the tetramin fry food before, good to know that works too. I bought a little bag of the first bites, and it lasts FOREVER. I think the crushed flakes rotated with egg yolk is my favorite combo so far, but all of it works!

The primary reason for a fish to abort its fry is from stress (be it from environment, tankmates, water quality or whatnot). So, you are doing what you can to keep her from getting stressed, so there id no reason to think she will not drop all of her fry. :)
Keep in mind that the first drop is often rather small, but later drops tend to get bigger. ;)

My moms peppermint platy is pregnant. I can tell bcause the body is clearish and I saw the babies.

Back
Top Bottom