Pregnant Otto? I'm not so sure...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Months ago I posted that I was excited to have a pregnant otto. Now, I'm not so sure that it was ever pregnant, just overweight. What does it look like to you?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC00370.jpg
    DSC00370.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00366.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 111
It would help if you could tell us a bit about the otos behavior. Healthy otos should be eating/grazing and pooping almost all the time.

It's not pregnant. Ottos are egg layers so it's definitely not carrying babies. It's either constipated or it has an infection/parasite such as worms.

Oh no...

The otto isn't acting abnormally...it's constantly grazing, and pooping...

It does kind of look constipated, but I did notice in the picture that there are a few light yellow spots on its abdomen. I've never had to deal with infections/parasites/other ailments. I'll have to look at some medicine today.

Thanks for the replies!

If it's eating normally and pooping then my guess is a tapeworm. What color is the feces? Look into levamisole to get rid of worms. I'm not sure on the dosage as I've never used it myself but it is what most discus keepers turn to for worms. It is commonly found in dewormers for dogs and you can actually use the same stuff but you will have to look into that yourself (google search) to get the recommended dosage and treatment period.

Back
Top Bottom