Pregnet platy getting aggressive.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 platy, both female, and a male betta in my ten gallon. One of he platy is pregnet and has been fine for a while. However, the past few days it has been getting a bit fin nippy, swimming faster, eating more, and more aggressive. Is this a sign that she will soon give birth? Here's a picImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421811549.924191.jpgsorry but this is the best I could get after like ten minutes of waiting. He's camera shy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also, I used to have a male but gave it away

Your Platy

Hello Ethan...

How is your tank set up? Livebearing female fish need a lot of surface plants to get out of the way of the aggressive males. Small tanks aren't really ideal for them, especially larger fish like a female Platy because there not much room to avoid the male. Lack of swimming room will cause a large female to be aggressive. Water changes are important to the health of any fish tank. Small tanks will need half the water changed a couple of times a week to keep dissolved wastes out. Females can hold off giving birth for months or longer, until they feel conditions are right for fry survival.

B

Shall I add the female to my 36?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Juvenile angel and two gourami.

Back
Top Bottom