Preventing catastrophe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read a lot of posts about people's pH changing really suddenly, or some other big die-off causing event. I'm wondering what causes those things to happen so quickly. If you do partial water changes weekly would that prevent those problems? I'm just concerned that some day I'll come home and all my fish will have mysteriously died despite the fact that I do water changes weekly. Is there anything else that has to be done? I'm just confused how something like that can happen so fast.

Water changes that are too small would allow parameters to slowly creep. Occational testing would allow you to track whether or not this is happening in your aquarium. It's generally not that the change happens so fast, as it finally becomes too much for the fish and when the owner tests they suddenly discover the problem that has been developing for a long time.

I agree with Purrbox. :) If you keep an eye on your temp, test your pH, and KH from time to time, clean your filter, vacuum the gravel with water changes to prevent anaerobic pockets etc. You should not have a problem, especially on a regular schedule. Drastic changes in pH can happen but often you will find people are trying to achieve a "perfect pH" rather than just letting the fish acclimate to their own natural but stable conditions.

You could keep a log, and mark it on your calendar then every time you clean your tank, filters etc log it so you can watch the history if you are really worried about it.

Sometimes people who have a whole tank "up and die" have done something to cause it even if they don't realize it.

Maybe they caused a mini cycle, or there was a disturbance of an anaerobic pocket that had developed under the gravel, they forgot to use dechlor with a water change, or perhaps (as one case I read about) the city did something different to the water one day when they flushed the system and the change in water params at the next water change were just too much for the fish.

Keep an eye on your tank and your fish and maintain your regular schedule and you should be fine. :) It is not really as complicated as it can all seem in the beginning. :)

IME Consistency is the key to success with even the most sensitive fish. :)

I once had a gas pocket that I broke open and didn't realize. I had a few fish die. I added another air bubbler and did another water change and all was fine after that. It was one of those things you just didn't realize was happening until it was too late. It was fast.

Now when stirring the sand I am more careful to not miss any part of the tank so that it won't happen again. I have kept the second bubbler as an added precaution.

I agree that consistency is key.

Back
Top Bottom