Prime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brizo

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the difference between this prime that I keep reading about and other water conditioning products?

Most of them work the same, but not all. Some will make the tap water safe for fish (neutralizing chlorine, chloramines and/or heavy metals) but won't do much in the way of neutralizing nitrites or nitrates. Prime makes tap water safe, helps detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so they are less toxic to fish (particularly helpful with cycling) and it's more concentrated so you end up using less in the long-run compared to other products.

From Seachem. Prime :

Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.

It also smells horribly bad...

That said, it is the best water conditioner out there, IMO.

David

I've been using API tap water conditioner? Should I switch?

Unless your unhappy with it ...No.
What I will say is that a same sized bottle of Prime
Will last longer than most other conditioners as prime is more concentrated.

I've been using API tap water conditioner? Should I switch?
Your conditioner is fine. If you'd like to try the Prime conditioner wait until you have finished the API. There's no need to jump ship as I believe they all have the same main ingredient. API has a really concentrated version of their popular water conditioner that requires only one drop per gallon of water.

David

So your saying it works 60% of the time all the time? Lol but on topic here I myself use prime and would recommend it. Use what you have, try prime afterwards and choose what your comfortable with afterwards

I have tried Marineland's product ( I got it free) and its better smelling but you do have to use more and you really have to shake it. I went back to Prime even though as others users have posted it smells awful. One small bottle does last a very long time as has been said previously.

Ya know I only recently noticed the smell in the prime. Total sulphur smell. I don't mind it much though. Does last a long time. Going green by using less plastic ;)

Back
Top Bottom