Prime?? What is it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was doing my thing...Water thing... spilt some prime on my hands. I don't know about y'all but I get finger tip splits in the winter.. basically paper cuts on my finger tips.. aweful. . Anyways, spilt some prime in said cut and burning ouchy wah wahhh... similar to alcohol burn?? Anyone else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it smells awful but it's the best in my book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ouch! Thanks for the tip Brookster! I use a syringe from work, so that's saved me I'm sure.

It burned.... keep in mind. ..I've used lots of chemistry on my hand's. .acetone. .prime burned is all......nothing more... nothing less...

According to seachem's website it is made of complexed hydrosulphite salts. Otherwise known as sodium dithionite (NaHSO3)

There's a lead to go off for now, I'm in work at the mo.

Checked the data sheet for prime but there is no hazard warnings for handling or irritating.

See what you can find. You probably won't find much else of what is in prime as it will be pretty locked down. It doesn't contain formaldehyde apparently like many other products of a similar nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Apparently Seachem prime is a reducing agent. Reducing agents are electron donors which doesn't make sense to me since nh4+ is the protonated form of nh3.

There must be a series of chemical reactions and electron/proton exchange which eventually converts ammonia to it's ionized state. Without being a chemist I don't think we are going to get much more out of that unless someone can chime in.

Dagnamit Brookster! You see what you have started now? :(

So I was doing my thing...Water thing... spilt some prime on my hands. I don't know about y'all but I get finger tip splits in the winter.. basically paper cuts on my finger tips.. aweful. . Anyways, spilt some prime in said cut and burning ouchy wah wahhh... similar to alcohol burn?? Anyone else?

I am way too familiar with this

Since chlorine is an oxidizer, naturally, dechlors are a reducer. I make my own using sodium thiosulphite.

Does it burn too?? Hey caliban.. quit smarting up my threads. Makes us simple Americans feel oh soo simple:( hehe

Does it burn too?? Hey caliban.. quit smarting up my threads. Makes us simple Americans feel oh soo simple:( hehe

Sorry, I'm trying to entice a discussion. Thought you were up for it! Lol

Maybe I'll start another thread.

Simple to make. Buy the crystal, measure, and mix with water. the stuff I got was pre-measured from another hobbyist. For around $20 I got a lifetime supply. It is available from aquaculture suppliers and some pond suppliers. Here is an example: Lab Grade Sodium Thiosulfate (dechlor), 500g for sale. Buy from The Science Company.

You can also buy it off amazon and premix. There are various tool/tables/ calculators to do it.

It's the most common ingredient in dechlorinators as it is easily obtainable, cheap and relatively safe.

As you already know BillD. Was meant to copy in the previous response.

Sorry, I'm trying to entice a discussion. Thought you were up for it! Lol

Maybe I'll start another thread.

I was kidding, this is how I learn! By all means.. smarten this baby up!

Back
Top Bottom