Probably and easy question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I use T5HO bulbs in a standard flourecsent hood?

If not what would be the best option for a hood light. My 55 gallon need two seperate hoods to cover it so i want to try to save some money.

T5 type, my wife bought me a 55 gallon rig and I want to have it planted mostly low - medium light plants right now but I want the option to do high light plants

Ok, planted tank, that's what we needed to know.

You can have 2 seperate 24", or you can get 1 48" lighting fixture. I'd recommend looking at Catalina Aquarium's T5 hoods. They're nicely priced, and have been getting good reviews.

If you went with a 48" 4x54W system, it would allow you to start out only running 2x54, and then you could kick in the extra 2 bulbs when you were ready to go to a higher light setup.

If you're willing to spend the money, TEKs T5 systems are phenomenal, but they're a bit pricey.

To be more precise - the ballast in a standard hood fixture won't drive the T5 bulb (plus the pins won't fit).

However, you can replace the light/ballast in the hood with a T5 retrofit kit. This may be cheaper than getting a completely new hood <or maybe not .... but do check out that option.>

Back
Top Bottom