Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
Probably foolish idea... Rather not trial and error this one

Hey guys! Look at me! 10+ posts! Hope i'm not annoying anyone yet

I just got a crazy idea...
I got a phonecall from my LFS... my 44 gallon should be here within 3 weeks.
I want to cycle it as fast as safely possible... and i was wondering if running my still wrapped aquaclear 70 in my lil'ol' ten gallon for these 3 weeks would condition the filter, and allow me to cycle faster.

In my head it works, except for one thing: Would it sterilize my 10 gallon, and blow all the fish away with current? It would obviously absorb MUCH more water than my aquaclear mini... would there be a risk of my 10 gallon cycling again?

Let me know your thoughts, and just tell me if i'm bein an impatient... *ahem*

tanks <--- Horrible pun

5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It would work... but the flow would have to be turned way down. If it was on full the tank will have alot of disturbance. Also it wouldn't "steralize" your tank or make you cycle again.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
It will start the culture, but without a heavy enough bioload to grow with (a 10 full of fish will not provide a lot of material for such a big filter), the filter will only be able to handle a few fish at first in the 44.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:13 AM   #4

you would be better off using some filter media from your filter on the 10 to help seed the new filter and do a fishless cycle.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
you would be better off using some filter media from your filter on the 10 to help seed the new filter and do a fishless cycle.
the problem with taking some filter media from my aquaclear mini is that there isn't much in there in comparison to the aquaclear 70! I should clarify:

I had planned on doing a fishless cycle, I just figured running the new filter on an established tank (no matter what size) would speed up the processes. But if putting in "used" filter media will do the same job, i think i'll just do that.

Sooo, the bottom line: Swapping filter media will do the same job as running that filter on my 10 gallon? or would there be some hidden benifit of running my new a few weeks before my tank arrives?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
the problem with taking some filter media from my aquaclear mini is that there isn't much in there in comparison to the aquaclear 70!
some is better then none.

do both. if you can turn the 70 down that'd be sweet, run it while you can. whats the gph/lph rating on the 70? i'm not familiar with the aquaclear range.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #7

the GPH on the 70 is 300GPH.. I know, i have 2 running on my 55 gallon. I have 2 aquaclear 70 and let me tell you they are STRONG and i would not advise running one on a 10 gallon.
Either way, its not enough to cycle your big tank, but all you need is some filter media from your small filter, even if its just half a sponge, to JUMP START a fishless cycle... It won't be already cycled but it will help.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
I have 2 aquaclear 70 and let me tell you they are STRONG and i would not advise running one on a 10 gallon.
are they quiet? I hope so!

I'll just have the one for my 44 gallon, it should do the trick, right?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be fine with the AC 70 on your 44 gallon. You will probably have to use the extension for the intake tube (included in the package) to get it to reach down far enough into the tank.

Swapping filter media will help get your cycle started, and your tank will cycle more quickly than if you were starting from scratch. Maybe just take the Biomax ceramic rings out of your Aquaclear mini and stick them in the Aquaclear 70 when you get your 44 gallon set up. Remember to check the ammonia you use to make sure it is pure ammonia with no surfactants.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a thought...

Maybe you could put some of the media of your aquaclear 70 and somehow tie it down in your 10gal. This way, it would get seeded and once you have your 44gal, you set it up with your aquaclear70 and that media?
1 Corydoras Aenus (Bronze Corys), 1 Corydoras Panda, 6 Glolight Tetras, 3 Otocinclus, 1 Spotted Borneo, 4 Amano Shrimps, 1 Panda Dwarf Cichlid, 4 Cryptocoryne Wendtii, 1 Anubias Nana, 2 Straight Vallisneria, 1 Water Wisteria, 1 Java Fern, Java Moss, 1 Dwarf Ambulia
vero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
Maybe just take the Biomax ceramic rings out of your Aquaclear mini and stick them in the Aquaclear 70 when you get your 44 gallon set up.
hehe... Biomax ceramic rings? I just stuff the thing full of polyester filling. Thats why i leave a piece of stuffing from my last filter in there... its my "biomax" stuff. Never had a problem with it, and it costs me about... oh... all of 2.99 for over a years worth of "filters"

I'm guessing this will have to change with my 44 Gallon?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com