Problem snails!!! Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chileno

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a planted tank and I knew I had snails but i thought my yoyo loaches were eating them and keeping control. Well I was very very wrong, this past week I've been noticing the gravel moving, and I kept seeing snail. Well today as soon as the lights went out i stayed watching and trying to catch my pregnant swordtail girl, and I saw hundreds of snails coming out of the gravel i mean hundreds of them!!!! All sizes and my loaches weren't eating them or doing anything :( so please help me i need to get rid of them. What fish would eat them? Or what can i do? This snails are long and pointy, not the tipical round ones. Please people i need help here i didnt know how bad it was

Ok so I think they are call Malaysian trumpet snail? I've been researching them and it says that they are not bad for the planted tank. And I'm over feeding my fish :( so what would you guys recommend i do? What should my feeding be? Once every other day?... Please help

Ok so I think they are call Malaysian trumpet snail? I've been researching them and it says that they are not bad for the planted tank. And I'm over feeding my fish :( so what would you guys recommend i do? What should my feeding be? Once every other day?... Please help

anentome%2520helena.jpg
get a large number of assassin snails. That's my advice. If you can't find them at the LFS, there will be somewhere online to order them.

If you want to get rid of them build one of these and put a couple pieces of food in there and you should catch a bunch.
img_2714065_0_f53b7d7d8d346bb3cf6f323aeb3e9352.jpg

+1 those last 2 post. Those two methods should work beautifully together

Thank you!!! Thats a good idea, do the assassin snail reproduce fast? Do they eat the plants?

And how can I find her so I can pm her? I only use the app

I have this same problem, hundreds of snails everywhere! I tried the trick with an empty, cleaned out baby food jar, with a veggie in it. Not one snail. I'm going to try the assassin snails too.

It was ridiculous how many snails there was last night!! I wanted to take a pic but there was no light, do the assassin snails eat all kind of snails?

MTS are will only reproduce to the amount of available nutrients. Try cutting back on your feeding. If you can catch them you can post them in the classified here or (forgive the reference to other bards, but...) the planted tank forum has a wtb/raok thread. You can post the as a RAOK, meaning you're giving them away, perfectly acceptable to ask the winner(s) pay shipping. People will snatch them up in no time.

Snail Problem

I have a planted tank and I knew I had snails but i thought my yoyo loaches were eating them and keeping control. Well I was very very wrong, this past week I've been noticing the gravel moving, and I kept seeing snail. Well today as soon as the lights went out i stayed watching and trying to catch my pregnant swordtail girl, and I saw hundreds of snails coming out of the gravel i mean hundreds of them!!!! All sizes and my loaches weren't eating them or doing anything :( so please help me i need to get rid of them. What fish would eat them? Or what can i do? This snails are long and pointy, not the tipical round ones. Please people i need help here i didnt know how bad it was

Hello Chil...

Too many snails is a sign you're feeding too much. Aquarium fish will easily live on a couple of small feedings per week. More than that, and there's plenty for snails and algae to use.

Gradually reduce the amount you feed. Flaked food is high phosphate and snails will thrive in water with dissolved phosphates. When you feed, stick with a little frozen and a bit of freeze dried. These have little or no phosphates.

Large, frequent water changes will keep the water free of extra nutrients and will maintain a stable water chemistry.

A quick fix would be to drop an "Iceberg" lettuce leaf into the tank. The snails will attach to the leaf and in a day or two, you can toss the leaf and the snails.

B

It was ridiculous how many snails there was last night!! I wanted to take a pic but there was no light, do the assassin snails eat all kind of snails?
I know they aren't asexual, but not sure of their reedit habits. Just type her name in under messages, under new pm. I use the app aswell. And yeah they'll eat all kinds of snails.

Thank you guys!!! Everybody has been very helpful, i pm her and she said she'll reply soon :) so if any of you wants any of this snails feel free to ask me lol!!! I just don't know how i would ship them but I can try

A very very easy method that can be done very quickly is put a slice of cucumber or zucchini in the tank and snails will heard to it. Once you see lots of them on it take it out and do what you wish with them. Repeat this multiple times depending on how bad it is. The bottle method combined with this way will not only be highly affective it will be pretty cheap too.

MTS are will only reproduce to the amount of available nutrients. Try cutting back on your feeding. If you can catch them you can post them in the classified here or (forgive the reference to other bards, but...) the planted tank forum has a wtb/raok thread. You can post the as a RAOK, meaning you're giving them away, perfectly acceptable to ask the winner(s) pay shipping. People will snatch them up in no time.

I found about 10 in my tank that must have hitchhiked in on new plants. I took about 6 out and put them in another tank. I don't feed much and I hardly see any. I'm kind of hoping that I can keep some in my tank. I've heard that they are very beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom