Problem with my LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I seriously think I'm done shopping for fish at my LPS, as much as I like supporting local businesses I'm getting ripped off, I just payed $10 for a Molly, $6.50 a piece for 2 platys, and $7 a piece for 2 swordtails. These prices are all at 50% off! I think what I'm going to end up doing is next time i go to the states (2.5 hour drive) is buy my fish there and bring them back across the border. I looked at the prices and $4 for these fish seem more realistic for me. Does that seem reasonable to you guys or am I just crazy?

Mollies, Platties, and swords are usually around $2 a piece for me. Sometimes 99 cent specials too.

That's the exact reason I will be buying them at petco or petsmart in the states... Tired of getting ripped off

Yes you are getting ripped off. Mollies, swordtails, and platy's are just about the cheapest fish you can get. I live in a very small, rural town and the local place only charges $2,50 a piece for those fish. I got a dwarf puffer for $9 and that was with having to order it.

Boooo petsmart and petco booooo. Sorry. I just hate big places like that. Maybe negotiate with your other source. Let them know you will be a loyal customer and provide good word of mouth for them and try to get a couple buck off, or some free stuff.

I had a problem like this. I was paying $5 for a single guppy! The rest of their prices weren't that bad, so I ended up only buying Gupta and Cory's at petsmart and the rest at my lfs. When the service and quality is so much better at the lfs, I can disregard the higher pricing

Sounds to me like a business opportunity, you can't be the only one wanting to pay those prices ;)

It depends on how healthy the fish are as well as their coloration. A lot of fish have designer versions which can really crank up the price. I was on the verge of paying $75 for a trio of guppies to start my breeding program with.

It's really hard to say you are being ripped off without knowing more about the fish you are buying.

Depending on the population of the area where your LPS is running they may keep stock for far longer than larger chains and feed them better quality foods etc. If that is true the fish will probably be far healthier to start as they won't move them on quickly The fish will be less stressed if they have had time to settle int the tank at theLFS too.

My LFS will pay fair prices for fry you raise but they also charge a touch more for stocking your tank in the first place because the area i live in has a smallish population. I know they look after their fish though so i haven't ventured to my next town which has 4 LFS. I'd like to go soon though to see if they carry morevariation in their range of plants.

I live in a small town (around 8k) but I still have to drive 20 minutes to get to the closet pet store in a even smaller town. I will try and see if I can maybe try and ask for a better deal but I'm only a young teenager so they probably won't take me seriously..

I would take into account how much you will be spending in gas to drive 5 hours just to get fish. It may still be more cost effective to purchase them closer to home. I will always try to choose my lfs but lately I have been finding a better selection and healthier fish with a better guarantee. It isn't my first choice but I no longer rule out the big box pet stores for fish.

No i go there a lot anyways because I have family there so next time i go I will pick up some fish on my way home

And thats the closest place to me with big chain pet stores

Back
Top Bottom