Problems cycling 25gal Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I know I got two other forums open but both have pretty much lost in translation and no-one really knows my concerns or questions anymore. My equipment is 2 Tetra Whisper 10-30i Power Filter, 1 Tetra Heater 10-30 (fully submersible), 1 Aqua Culture: 20-60 Gallon, Double Outlet Aquarium Air Pump, 1 Aqua Culture Bubble Aquarium Stone, 25' of Aqua-culture standard airline tubing, 1 Seachem Ph Alert tab, 1 Magnetic Algae Scraper, River Pebble (small) gravel, Assorted wal-mart fake plants and decorations, and API Freshwater Master Test kit. Chemicals include Tetra algae control, Tetra Aqua- safe, Small bottle of Seachem Prime. Not in use chemicals are are Tetra Start Zyme, Tank Buddies Fungus Clear, and Aquarium Salt.

I have a 25 gallon aquarium it's been set up for 5 weeks, it's been cycling for four of those weeks with shurefine pure ammonia. I bring my ammonia up to 4ppm as that's the closest number to 5ppm with out being over (using API Fresh Water Master Test). My ammonia is dropping to 0ppm in 12 hours and nitrites dropping to 0ppm in somewhere around 24 hours. Test results right now 13 hours from dosing to 4ppm show 0ppm ammonia 5ppm nitrite levels. I have not seen any algae blumes during fish-less cycling, I run my lights anywhere from 12 to 13 hours a day. Normally as long as Im awake they are on. I'm planning on getting a timer for my light and setting it between 10 and 12 hours of light.

As for stocking options, I'm really open for anything, but as for now my list is 3 Gourmis(1 male,2 females), 5-6 of some type of Tetra's or schooling fish that can handle my ph, and 6-8 Panda Cory's. I'm open to any suggestions, but please be kind.

As for questions. If my ammonia is showing 0ppm at 12 hours and my nitrite levels are showing 0ppm at 24 doesn't that mean my ammonia producing nitrite in 12hours and nitrite producing nitrate in 12 hours? If this is true then how many days should I test just to make sure its not a fluke? Now on to buying fish. What should I look for when purchasing fish? Should I just absolutely avoid buying fish from a supplier that has linked filtration? All three of my fish stores around here have linked filtration( petsmart and 2 locally owned ones). Petsmart and one of the locally owned (well not so locally owned) are out of state in Slidell, La. The other locally owned is in my home town Picayune,Ms. I rarely ever get a chance to go to Slidell. I'm worried about the fish I last bought from the one in Picayune, Ms. they all (one by one) started bleaching out and catching swim bladder, and then dying idk if they was just stressed out severly from tank not being cycled (as it was not) or if her tanks or sick what do ya'll think? I would like to get fish soon as I'm a really impatient person, but I think I done well with cycling my tank properly this time.

Ps. For any nazis out there that say my ph will kill anything (as this has happened on utube). I'm questioning and finding out if fish are farmed raised and anythat are (if I buy) will be going thro a very long (3-4hours) drip acclimation. Also I will be adding 2 smaller internal filters to handle any over stocking issues, if it is a tiny bit over stocked.
Problems Day 33 cycling
Day before yesterday(9:30pm) I tested my ammonia and it was 0ppm so I dosed it back to 4ppm, my nitrite reading was around 2ppm. Yesterday morning (9:30am) I tested ammonia it was at 0ppm so I dosed back to 4ppm and my nitrite reading was 5ppm. Last night I tested and my ammonia was at 2ppm and nitrite was at 0ppm. This morning ammonia was at .5 and nitrite at 0ppm. So why is my ammonia dropping so slow ? I also experienced (sometime between last night and this morning) a super Ph drop 8.0 down to 6.2. Did major water change to get ph up now its around 8 again (normal tap ph) and tested ammonia .5ppm nitrite .5ppm

Hi and welcome to AA!!! It sounds like you were fully cycled with your amm/nitrite dropping to zero in a 24hr time frame. However, ph crashes are common during cycling as the nitrifying bacteria use up the waters natural buffers in the conversion process. A couple of water changes during a fishless cycle can prevent this from happening. As you have experienced a ph crash, this will set things back a bit. You will need to continue to closely monitor your ph as your tank restabilizes to try & prevent this from occuring again. Some patience will be needed as well for the crash shocked your bacteria & they will need to recover.

In respect to ph & fish, a ph of @8 that is stable is fine for most fish as long as you properly acclimate them. Its ph swings that can have drastic consequences. I suspect your previous fish deaths were the result of the tank not being cycled although poor stock can not be ruled out. I can not help you with stocking list (i have coldwater fish) but I am sure others will help out!!! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Continue to dose your ammonia for a couple more days until your amm/nitrite zero back out in a 24hr time frame consistently. When they do drop steadily & your ready for fish, skip the amm & do a big water change to reduce your nitrates as low as possible. Make sure you use temperature-matched, conditioned water. Check out U-Tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimation' if you are not familiar with the process. :)

okay cool should it take long to get it back normal what would be the consiquenses if i add fish tommrow with out bac recovering cause tommrow the only chance i will be able to go to fish store

okay cool should it take long to get it back normal what would be the consiquenses if i add fish tommrow with out bac recovering cause tommrow the only chance i will be able to go to fish store

You can add fish tommorrow just realize you will be finishing your cycle fish-in. Just make sure you do a 100% water change (possibly more than one) to get your levels of ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate as low as possible before purchasing fish. Continue to monitor your water daily & do pwcs anytime your ammonia and/or nitrite hit .25ppm (higher). Once your tank finishes cycling & stabilizes (0 amm, 0 nitrite), you will just need to do weekly maintainence pwcs. I posted 2 fish-in cycling links below in case you are not familiar with it.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

oh and if im using prime water conditioner (which i did earlier) how long should i wait to add water tank cause i put prime in water then stir it around real good in bucket then add it to tank immediatly so i might have killed back that way earlier

so how long would it take me to finish cycling fish in ?

It shouldnt take as long because you already have started a fishless cycle. Typically, a fishin cycle can take anywhere from 4-8wks (or possibily longer). I dont think it will take this long- a guess would be 2-4 wks but maybe not even this long. It really depends on how bad of a ph shock your bacteria received.

it recieved a major shock i would guess since it dropped from 8 to 6.2 lol altho i thought it really didnt affect it if it doesnt drop below 6 besides just slowing it down

Your stocking plan sounds ok as long as your gouramis get along. Just keep an eye out for aggression with them. If you ever see your pH dropping, you might want to add a little crushed coral in a mesh bag in your filter to keep it stable.

As far as where to buy, just look for unhealthy fish in all the tanks before you decide to buy. If you get bad vibes, steer clear. It's always a crapshoot. And once your tank is stocked and established you might want to consider a quarantine tank. Good luck!

Sounds like the pH crash slowed it. But it should bounce back quickly. As JLK said, if you get your fish just monitor all levels closely and do water changes when ammonia and nitrite get around .25. Hopefully, as you are doing your weekly water changes, your pH will stay stable.

I'm not sure about the skirts. It seems like I've read they are big swimmers and need a lot of space. In a 25 they might be too active to be with the gouramis. But I have no personal experience with them. You might post a separate stocking thread to get more expert opinions. The cories should be good with the gouramis. Maybe a smaller tetra could work. Or have you seen harlequin rasboras?
Have you checked out Aqadvisor.com?

Cories are very sensitive, so I'd wait on them. I think the skirt tetras are pretty hardy. Gouramis are pretty hardy except for dwarfs. I suggest when you are picking out your fish at the store, if you have a smartphone, look each species up on liveaquaria.com to see its general requirements before you buy. Definitely look some up in advance. It can be overwhelming when you get there if you don't have it clear in your head.

oh well i wanted dwarf groumis , panda cory's, and either cardinals or skirts or danios and which should i add and in what quantity and should i add fish or should i continue with fishless cycling since it was going thro in it 24 hours till ph crash

i decided that i just going to go ahead and finish this the correct way, so my new question is when i add dechlorinater to whats left of my aquarium(i use prime )which is fiffty drops for my 25gal aquarium since your supposed to dose for the entire volume of water if adding it directly to tank instead of dosing seperate buckets, will this hurt my bactieria since im putting chlorine water in there but i have the fifty drops of prime waiting in the water or does it do it instantly and decholrinate water where it does not hurt bacteria

Back
Top Bottom