Problems everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
]Also. This could be nothing serious, but my yellow fish has constantly hung out at the top of the tank. So I've never thought anything of it. But my orange swordtail hasn't. Until the past few days. And I had done a water change. Which helped that nitrate a great deal. Is it just a coincidence? It was doing it a day or two before the water change. Although I've been changing small parts of water for almost a month now. It acts fine and will come down. Just most of the time is hanging out at the top with the yellow one.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I'm finally cycled! My nitrite is down to zero constantly this week! Also my quarantine tank is as well!!!!! Wow how much more easy and faster it happens with no fish and some stuff from the old tank!!!! So. Question is where to go from here. I have a lot of algae which y'all said is a good sign. I know I don't have to have one, but I would like an algae eater. I have heard that some or all of them can't tolerate aquarium salt? When I need to use it for future disease as I'm sure I will encounter, how do you go about this? So
What kind of algae eater do you recommend?

Ok so I'm finally cycled! My nitrite is down to zero constantly this week! Also my quarantine tank is as well!!!!! Wow how much more easy and faster it happens with no fish and some stuff from the old tank!!!! So. Question is where to go from here. I have a lot of algae which y'all said is a good sign. I know I don't have to have one, but I would like an algae eater. I have heard that some or all of them can't tolerate aquarium salt? When I need to use it for future disease as I'm sure I will encounter, how do you go about this? So
What kind of algae eater do you recommend?

i would not start with fish but rather nerite snails. they're known algae eaters as well as scavengers. they will pick out uneaten stuffs from the tank and are great cleaners. I think great tanks have to have some snails to keep everything in balance. most of the algae eating fish will tolerate some level of salt, therefore the salt content in your tank shouldn't be a major factor. if there's plenty of algae around, otos are the best way to go. they're small and eat only algae and other vegetated matters. IMO, it's not recommended that you get plecos as they produce large bioload(aka a lot of POOP and cleaning) and as they mature they become increasingly aggressive and develop an appetite for meatier food instead of just algae. If your tank is big enough, Siamese algae eaters are the best algae eaters out there(duhhhh, their name says it all). But they do grow big and territorial as they mature (although not as big as plecos). And congratulation on finally making it to the end!

Well. You saw my pictures. I don't want to make any mistakes if I can help it, so I'm going with whatever y'all think on here. Lol. If I need to go the snail route, what information do I need to know on that? And if I choose a fish, do you think he Siamese would be better? I know you said Otos are the best if there's a lot of algae. Those pictures are where most of the algae is and it's a 20 Gallon. Do you think it's enough for a oto?

Also. How can I quarantine either one if there is no algae in my quarantine tank

Ok so you definitely think a snail is the best option.... What kind? I would much rather get info from you guys instead of my lfs. I want to know exactly what to ask for lol

Ok thanks! Is it possible to have a snail and a Algae fish? Just wondering.

From what I'm seeing it is a salt water snail? If it is ok in fresh water, will it reproduce? My boyfriends family's tank has snails everywhere they can't get rid of.

this is what i'm referring to. if you can, get the zebra snail

Tropical Snails for Freshwater Aquariums: Nerita Snail, Olive

yes, you can have algae eating fish with snails. just make sure there's no loaches because they will be dinner for the loaches.

another beauty of having snails is that there is ZERO maintenance on them.

you would need brackish water for these snails to reproduce, so i wouldn't be worried about sudden population explosion where the snails take over your tank.

Ok. So maybe the snails that he has are Pond snails or something totally different. Ok yes I'm researching and i see the zebra ones. This looks like a good choice and probably less problems with death like I have been encountering.

Ok. So maybe the snails that he has are Pond snails or something totally different. Ok yes I'm researching and i see the zebra ones. This looks like a good choice and probably less problems with death like I have been encountering.

DON'T get the pond snails. they are pests. A recommendation for your boyfriend's tank: get a clown loach. I can guarantee that fish will be very very very happy

Ok I will definitely let them know about that! They have like 40 of these things whatever they are. I think I have made my mind up
On gettin the snails instead of fish. From what I'm reading its not good to add them until he tank has been established 6 months or more.

Ok I will definitely let them know about that! They have like 40 of these things whatever they are. I think I have made my mind up
On gettin the snails instead of fish. From what I'm reading its not good to add them until he tank has been established 6 months or more.

and if i remember correctly, your fish will not bother the snails and vice versa.

Yes I read that too. I like the thought of the Siamese algae eater. When I first started all this i had a Chinese looking catfish thing to eat poop. It died along with the others. I think I'll try the snails first. Just because they seem to be more hardy. But, they're Max lifetime is a year and the Siamese could live longer. But, there's always the chance of the fish dying lol

Back
Top Bottom