Problems everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I read that too. I like the thought of the Siamese algae eater. When I first started all this i had a Chinese looking catfish thing to eat poop. It died along with the others. I think I'll try the snails first. Just because they seem to be more hardy. But, they're Max lifetime is a year and the Siamese could live longer. But, there's always the chance of the fish dying lol

lol It's called the Chinese Algae Eater, and no, they don't eat poop (i don't think any animal will):lol:. There's the regular version (brownish looking) and a gold version (yellow in color)

Ok I'm not sure what it was called they said it was to eat the other fishes waste? Anyway. Lol if my snails do ok I might get one if I need it.

I just looked up the Chinese. My boyfriend has the golden one. It's huge. I don't think I want one of those. I think I'll stick with the snails :)

I says in the name golden sucking loach? Is that the same thing as what you said would be good to eat the snails? If so this fish doesn't do that lol

Ok I'm not sure what it was called they said it was to eat the other fishes waste? Anyway. Lol if my snails do ok I might get one if I need it.

someone doesn't know what he/she's talking about. what seems like poop eating is the fish trying to scavenge the food debris amid the pile of poop. No poop-eating fish exists. Otherwise we, the hobbyists, would be all over it. So you should not to go to the person who told you this.

I says in the name golden sucking loach? Is that the same thing as what you said would be good to eat the snails? If so this fish doesn't do that lol

yes that's what i was referring to but they don't eat snails. as they age they become increasingly aggressive and would attack and suck on other fish. their diet also changes from algae to meaty food

The pet store told me this! No wonder it died! Lol. I had no algae at the time..

Ok so what fish did you mean would be good for m boyfriends tank with the pond snails. Loach something?

Ok so what fish did you mean would be good for m boyfriends tank with the pond snails. Loach something?

i intentionally added about 30 pond snails into my tank because most pet stores give them away for free. my loaches clean them up overnight. couldn't be more proud of my loaches

I see. I thought you meant they ate the pond snails and he could get rid of them! Lol sorry!!!!

Alright. So. Nerite snails is what I get, correct?
How many?
How do I tell if they are healthy at the pet store?
Is there anything in particular I need to do or buy?
Do they contribute a significant amount of bioload that I need to keep a strict check on since I am just newly cycled? And does the amount of snails I add depend on how many more fish I can get in the future?
If my pet store doesn't carry these and I have to order, is there anything special I need to know about that process?
Just any suggestions would be appreciated from anyone! For anyone that hasn't posted to me before its a 20 gallon newly cycled tank with all fake plants, real rocks. One swordtail and a yellow platy.

Ok so I called my pet store this morning. The only kind of snail they carry are mystery snails? Can I get some info on this? This is not what I need, correct?

Ok so I called my pet store this morning. The only kind of snail they carry are mystery snails? Can I get some info on this? This is not what I need, correct?

mystery snails are cleaners, but not necessarily algae eaters. some have success in getting them to eat algae while others have not. so it's a hit or miss situation.

Okay. Well this is all they have. I guess I would be better off going to petsmart an hour away to get a nerite.

Alright. So. Nerite snails is what I get, correct?
How many?
How do I tell if they are healthy at the pet store?
Is there anything in particular I need to do or buy?
Do they contribute a significant amount of bioload that I need to keep a strict check on since I am just newly cycled? And does the amount of snails I add depend on how many more fish I can get in the future?
If my pet store doesn't carry these and I have to order, is there anything special I need to know about that process?
Just any suggestions would be appreciated from anyone! For anyone that hasn't posted to me before its a 20 gallon newly cycled tank with all fake plants, real rocks. One swordtail and a yellow platy.

it's gonna sound stupid but as long as the snails move around, they're healthy. they don't contribute significantly to the bioload.

Okay. Well this is all they have. I guess I would be better off going to petsmart an hour away to get a nerite.

make sure you call them ahead of time and verify that they do carry the snails. I've not seem any petsmart carrying them at all. Petco is more willing to take special orders on aquatic animals but YMMV. Go to AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium equipment and fish in an auction format and create an account. It's they eBay version for tank related stuffs and they have plenty algae eating fish/snails/invertebrates. the only downside to this site is most of the time you have to pay shipping. You can also check eBay, they also have some but doesn't offer the broad range that aquabid offers.

Back
Top Bottom