Problems everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't get a great one. He is darting today which I know is a bad sign. This is the best I could do. It is bothering me because it is multiplying so rapidly. I've never had ich do that before while using meds. There's one spot by the eye that is hanging. Looks like all the other spots but I've never had a fish with ich that it looked like it was barely attached. They look terrible. Somehow my neon fish is fine and has no spots. And the yellow one doesn't look any worse. The orange one has more. Even if I get this copper stuff. Will it work if its still on the fish? From what I've gathered any type of med only works after it falls off? And don't the fish die before then?

image-3623141721.jpg

I couldn't get a great one. He is darting today which I know is a bad sign. This is the best I could do. It is bothering me because it is multiplying so rapidly. I've never had ich do that before while using meds. There's one spot by the eye that is hanging. Looks like all the other spots but I've never had a fish with ich that it looked like it was barely attached. They look terrible. Somehow my neon fish is fine and has no spots. And the yellow one doesn't look any worse. The orange one has more. Even if I get this copper stuff. Will it work if its still on the fish? From what I've gathered any type of med only works after it falls off? And don't the fish die before then?

When and how often are you doing water changes?

I have been doing partial water changes every other day because I have had an ammonia and trate and trite problems. So up until yesterday I have been doing that for a few weeks. I did a small change yesterday because you're supposed to do that before every new dose of meds.

When ich is on the fish, and showing, nothing really effects it, heat speads it's life cycle up though, making it fall off faster.

Sometimes when treating ich it gets worse before it gets better.

So when you asked me last night if it looked like it was hanging, did you think it might be something else besides ich?

And I have it at 78. I have a automatic heater that keeps it at that so I could only get it warmer with hot water gradually being entered into the tank.

And I have it at 78. I have a automatic heater that keeps it at that so I could only get it warmer with hot water gradually being entered into the tank.

78 is not enough, turn it up to 85 gradually. it speeds up the life cycle of ick and helps with the disinfecting process. have you added aquarium salt? if not do so according to the tank since. I've had persistent ick problem before that took my.three weeks to take care of. Good luck

I have an automatic heater so icant turn it up and yes I adde salt last week

When I treated for ich I had it up to 86. Took me a month to be rid of it. I cleaned and vacuumed daily.

If its fuzzy and raised it is something else prolly. But from what I can see.. It still looks like ich. But from the pic I can't be 100%. But if its ich, I've seen worse. Can u turn up the heater to 85 or so? If it doesn't get any higher than 75 I'd invest in a new heater.

I would second the advice of increasing water temp and treating with salt. Good luck with this

I skimmed through this thread but I just wanna add this:

Ich can be defeated with high temps and salt, temps of 86 degrees, sometimes higher. Every 2nd day do a 50% water change and clean substrate and decor really well. After that add salt for the amount ONLY taken out of the tank as salt doesn't evaporate.

Do that for 10-14 days.

Salt used, Kosher salt 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons dissolved in tank water.

Lower your water level and you can even add a air stone to help oxygenate the water, higher heat will lower the oxygen level in tank. I would use medicine as a last resort. I've beaten ich in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank with salt and heat method no meds and no losses.

Here's a good read.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Reactions: SKB
Thank you all so much! I will definitely try to get. A new heater and raise this temp. It seems from what y'all say that this is the best way. And even if its something different than ich that this will help. So I can add salt even if I added it last week?

Thank you all so much! I will definitely try to get. A new heater and raise this temp. It seems from what y'all say that this is the best way. And even if its something different than ich that this will help. So I can add salt even if I added it last week?

yes you add salt even if you added last week. do it after each water change but don't add as much as you first started since there's some salt in the tank already.

As Convict said above, salt doesn't evaporate. But you did say you clean your tank daily. When you clean the tank, only add the amount you took out of water (% of salt - % of water).

And Convict is also right, something I forgot to mention, when you turn the heat up there is less oxygen in the water. Either lowering your water from the filter, adding another filter or adding bubblers will help with this, so thank you convict! :thanks: His website he posted is one I looked at when I had this issue, so id look into it for sure.

And yes a heater that maintains different levels of heat is great for all types of this. Weather changes (room heat changes) and treating infection. :)

Ok thank you all so much. I will get a heater today if I can find one. We are In a small town and all walmarts are automatic. I will check pet store. And the salt helps a lot. I was told you could only add it once. And I will do a water change and try to vacuum gravel.

Ok thank you all so much. I will get a heater today if I can find one. We are In a small town and all walmarts are automatic. I will check pet store. And the salt helps a lot. I was told you could only add it once. And I will do a water change and try to vacuum gravel.

I added salt everyday for 16 days. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. I did a 50% water change every 2nd day then added half the dose. At the end I did a massive 75-80% water change and added NO salt then slowly lowered the temp back down.

I agree about the heater. Get yourself a new one that you can control. Also to add, it's a good idea to go up one size bigger. So say for example it says a 100 watt is up to your tank size get the next size up.

I have 2 heaters in my 75 gallon and there both aqueonPro 250's

Ok thank you. I'm thinking get the new heater. And do water changes and salt as the best option. This seems like a better alternative than the copper?

Also. This is jumping a little ahead. But, say they live and I have this treated. How do I rid the tank of this so it doesn't come back? Just keep up with water changes and cleanliness? If they die, how do you rid the disease out of the water and gravel for good where new fish could be put in later? I want to just start completely fresh if that happens, but I have had such a hard time cycling I don't want to go through that again.

Ok thank you. I'm thinking get the new heater. And do water changes and salt as the best option. This seems like a better alternative than the copper?

IMO you don't need meds. You can turn your lighting cycle down also to help keep everyone calm. Other then that do what has been mentioned and keep an eye on them. You should be able to get through it no problem. It will get worse before it gets better FYI...

Also... I gave advice on treating ich although from the pictures I'm not sure it is. BUT this won't hurt. Meds on the other hand can be harsh and weaken the immune system so.... Don't use them.

Again just my opinion and based ONLY on MY experience with ich BUT I beat it with no losses.

Back
Top Bottom