Problems with congo tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishliker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All, I have 8 congo tetras in a 55 gallon tank. Been in there 7 months, 6 males and2 females. All had been well until this week, suddenly the males are all agitated and chasing each other around. No one getting hurt, just lots of chasing. I'm assuming it's got to do with breeding, although they are not bothering the 2 females at this point. Don't know what to do. Maybe try taking the 2 females out to see if this would calm things down? I am considering trying to rehome them all if this continues. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've read that water temp changes can bring about a breeding response. Is it possible there is something different with your recent PWC?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know how well it would work but you could try an all male tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know how well it would work but you could try an all male tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 did a bit of research on my diamond tetras. A lot of the larger bodied tetras are slightly agro, but tend to lose that trait when there is a lack of females to compete for. They're also know to lose a bit of color without females as well though so it's give and take.

I love my fish!!!

7 months without a problem though. Maybe they are just maturing now?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes probably. When they reach full maturity they get more aggressive because of breeding. Idk what to recommend. More females to disperse the dominance? Or remove the females so there's nothing to compete for?
It's kind of hard when dealing with behavior, it's iffy if it will work or not.

I love my fish!!!

Hey All, thanks so much for the responses! I tried to remove the 2 females but could not catch them. So today during the weekly water change, we collected them all and the are at the fish store! I hated to do it but I feel like I have the tank back. I didn't get any new fish yet, not sure what I want. I'm actually thinking of adding another pearl gourami or 2, females. I did add 5 Cardinal tetras in which came out of quarentine so now I have a nice big school of those in there. Yes, this tank is definitely more calm and to my liking. So thanks.

Hey All, thanks so much for the responses! I tried to remove the 2 females but could not catch them. So today during the weekly water change, we collected them all and the are at the fish store! I hated to do it but I feel like I have the tank back. I didn't get any new fish yet, not sure what I want. I'm actually thinking of adding another pearl gourami or 2, females. I did add 5 Cardinal tetras in which came out of quarentine so now I have a nice big school of those in there. Yes, this tank is definitely more calm and to my liking. So thanks.

So removing the females helped? So glad to hear that! In my case I had to add them because they were the ones getting bullied. And very good choice with the either 1 male or 2 female gouramis, both are pretty imo.
I have dwarf gouramis but the females are pretty dull looking comparatively. Love how both the male and female pearls have a lot of pattern.

I love my fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom