Product information/question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bassholedrifter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I buy many of my fish supplies from Drs. Foster & Smith online and was going thru their most recent catalog. On page 61 there is a product called "Bacter Vital" it claims to fully cycle new aquariums. 8O
Has anyone heard of or used this product? Or is it just another "snake oil?"

BASS

Although I have never used this product, I am always very suspicious of anything in a bottle that claims to cycle a tank. You can use a piece of shrimp and get guaranteed results. It takes a few weeks, but it always works. If you're not familiar with this method, check out the article on this site about "fishless cycling". If you do try the "Bacter Vital", please be sure and let us know your thoughts about it.

Here is the reply I recieved from the Tech Support of DRs. Foster & Smith on this product along with a copy of the email I sent them.

Dear William,
Thank you for your email. Bacter Vital will help to speed up the cycling period of the aquarium. Bacteria are able to survive in the container as they are in a catalytic nutrient-stabilizing solution and do not require light. It is recommended to place the open container in the refrigerator in order to keep the bacteria in the catalytic state for preservation.
If we can be of any additional assistance, feel free to contact our Live Aquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at customerservice@liveaquaria.com and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.
Sincerely,

Joyce
Drs. Foster & Smith
Technical Support

Bacter Vital

Properly cycles aquariums by synchronizing the sulfur, phosphorous, and carbon cycles WITH the nitrogen cycle. Not exclusively Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas dependent; also contains many other beneficial organisms missing from other products. Utilizes a multifaceted approach to nitrification/denitrification.

Probiotic effect: allows beneficial microbes to compete with and crowd out disease organisms such as saltwater ich, Amyloodinium, Aeromonas, Psuedomonas and Vibrio.
Naturally breaks down solid and soluble wastes, leftover food, and decaying plant and animal matter.
Keeps aquarium decorations and accessories cleaner.
Provides fishes and invertebrates a natural slime shield derived from marine sources. No synthetic polymers or terrestrial plant juices.
Neutralizes ammonia, nitrites, and heavy metals. Initializes and supports denitrification.
Interrupts ability of nuisance algae to nourish themselves.
Use 1 tsp. per 50 gallons daily for 3 days. Established tanks, use 1 tsp. per 50 gallons per week for 3 weeks. 4 oz. treats 400 gallons for 3 days when used as directed.

We hope that you find this information beneficial. We employ some of the best people in the industry and want to be your source for all of your aquatic needs.
Drs. Foster & Smith

You will also find over 1500 articles full of helpful information on our Pet Education website! Browse by species or topic. Your question(s) may already be answered there.
http://www.peteducation.com

At 06:12 PM 11/4/2004 -0600, you wrote:

Comments:
I am hoping you can give me some insight on a product I
saw in the recent DRs. Foster & Smith catalog, it is on page 61 and is called Bacter Vital. It claims to fully cycle a new aquarium, by introducing all natural biological catalyst and over 600 micro-organism species that allow imemediate adaptation of aquatic life.....
Does this really work? Or is it just another "snake oil?"
I mean could bacteria really survive in a bottle sitting on a shelf for who knows how long, with out proper light and nutrients?
Thanks in advance for any information you can enlighten me with...

BASS

Well...since I wake up cynical in the morning and usually go downhill from there, I'd say it sounds too good to be true. Things that sound too good to be true usually are. The reply from tech support sounds like they read the label on the bottle.
However, my guess is that it couldn't hurt a thing to try it if you want to. As I said before, if you do decide to give it a try, let us know what you think about it.

I'd read what you can about Bio-Spira and compare it. I am skeptical of anything that claims to cycle a tank, but I have certainly not tried all of them. Marineland claims that they have patented the bacteria (I reckon you can do that!) and if anyone else is selling what they claim will cycle a tank it is not the real deal. Who knows.

If it is not too expensive I'd go ahead and try it, take careful readings every day, post your own article/product review and then we'll all benefit from what you learn.

A friend of mine tried one of these instant cycle products, I think it was called NitroMax. He had a bristleworm infestation...changed his substrate and then tried to reestablish the tank with without cycling. It was a saltwater tank. He had ammonia over 8, no nitrite and no nitrate...and was using double doses of the nitromax daily. This was upon recommendations of LFS..where he bough the Nitromax.

Now that he is 2 weeks out...he is getting his ammonia down, and nitrite is increasing....which is the time frame in a standard cycle starts producing nitrite. He lost 2 snails, a six line wrasse, and a chromis in the process. He only has 3 hermits left in his tank...and I am sure their lifespan has been decreased with this insult. I feel the nitromax did NOTHING to increase the cycle.

After witnessing this...I would not recommend or use any "instant cycle" product. My soon to be set up 40 breeder marine will have a piece of shrimp cycle

Gunnie, as usual, is right on the ball!!!

If you all will notice the difference in terminolgy here;....

There is a significant difference between "Cycle accelerators" and "Actual Cyling products".

Bio-spira is an actual cycling product...the only one that I'm aware of.

All the others are "Cycle accelerators"....they help.... but DO NOT immediately establish a "cycled" environment in your aquarium!!!
Bio-spira DOES.

There are literally dozens upon dozens of "Cylce accelerators" out there.

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom