Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Project 40 gal

I have two 20 gal tank as shown in the picture. One is on top of the other one however I want to have a PVC pipe that flows down the the bottom one and than the bottom tank pumps up the water with a water pump to the the top tank therefor they share water conditions. I'm not sure how I want to to connect them. Any ideas, thoughts or ways I can get an overflow from the top tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-745996756.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	97436  

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the top tank, does it have equipment on the back of the tank? It looks similar to the biocube. If you don't want to drill your tank (best way), then consider getting a CPR overflow. Read as much of the bad reviews as possible before you buy it to learn all the inherent risks.

Water goes through the overflow and into the bottom tank. Then you will have a pump that pushes the water back to the top tank. You should look into getting a return U-tube, such as U-Tube with Directional Return

What are you planning to use the bottom tank for?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance
For the top tank, does it have equipment on the back of the tank? It looks similar to the biocube. If you don't want to drill your tank (best way), then consider getting a CPR overflow. Read as much of the bad reviews as possible before you buy it to learn all the inherent risks.

Water goes through the overflow and into the bottom tank. Then you will have a pump that pushes the water back to the top tank. You should look into getting a return U-tube, such as U-Tube with Directional Return

What are you planning to use the bottom tank for?
The bottom tank will house fry and the top will be the parents
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I would strongly advise keeping them separate. If a bug gets into one of your tanks, it would be transferred to the other.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you're better off doing seperate tanks in your situation unless you're really interested with sumps. There is a lot to learn because you really want to do it the right way the first time. There might not be a second opportunity to make adjustment.

Tags
40 gallon, project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com