Proof that fish do have feelings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt68005

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday, my Calico Fancy goldfish female got stuck between two rocks, she could not move at all. My male black moor (her spawning partner) was furiously trying to get her out of there, to the point that he scraped his side. Stupid volcanic rocks got unglued from the back of that aquarium (got it secondhand ) needless to say after i managed to free her. After that they all come by and check on her and gently rub her, especially my male black moor. Ive never seen anything like this before, he really was trying to free her from the rocks. And then when she was free he was gently making sure she is okay.

I talk to my fish which others find amusing. I know the fish get me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Survival 'instinct".. not to be confused with "feelings".. very cool none the less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Animals do have feelings. They may not be the same as ours, but they exist. Several expieriments have been conducted on this very subject. Researchers discovered that dogs, cats, and primates have the same spindle cells that humans have and that are responsible for human emotions. Some animals have more feelings than others just like humans. We do not understand animal culture and language though. I liken it to taking a person and dropping them into a foreign country where they do not know the language or cultural norms. They would have a very hard time understanding you and understanding why you do certain things.

Fish have brains also, when I come near my Aquarium almost all of them recognize me and come up to the top to eat.

Animals do have feelings. They may not be the same as ours, but they exist. Several expieriments have been conducted on this very subject. Researchers discovered that dogs, cats, and primates have the same spindle cells that humans have and that are responsible for human emotions. Some animals have more feelings than others just like humans. We do not understand animal culture and language though. I liken it to taking a person and dropping them into a foreign country where they do not know the language or cultural norms. They would have a very hard time understanding you and understanding why you do certain things.

Fish are not dogs or cats,
it's like comparing dinosaurs to Appalachian goat herders..

Fish have brains also, when I come near my Aquarium almost all of them recognize me and come up to the top to eat.

No one is saying they do not have brains.. of course they have brains.. no one with healthy fish will deny the food begging behavior does not occur either.

I agree more advanced animals, but fish I seriously don't agree with your assessment of their supposed feelings. People these days like to humanize their pets in order to connect with them on a emotional level. I think people miscontrue basic animal behavior like hunger, fear, and stress to those of humans like love, happines, joy, depression, and so forth.

I agree more advanced animals but fish I seriously doubt it. People these days like to humanize their pets in order to connect with them on a emotional level. I think people miscontrue basic animal behavior like hunger, fear, and stress to those of humans like love, happines, joy, depression, and so forth.

I'm kinda with you here. For example, if deer had better reasoning, we wouldnt be hunting them! And deer are higher in advancement than fish, so i kinda doubt fish have full feelings, just general survival necessities, like going to where the food is and such. Not saying fish are emotionless, but just not as developed as some other animals.

I'm kinda with you here. For example, if deer had better reasoning, we wouldnt be hunting them! And deer are higher in advancement than fish, so i kinda doubt fish have full feelings, just general survival necessities, like going to where the food is and such. Not saying fish are emotionless, but just not as developed as some other animals.

:confused:
HUH?
We hunt deer because we killed all their natural predators and if we didn't hunt them they would reproduce to the point of wiping out there habitat and then starving to death, not to mention the havoc they could wreak in suburban communities as the food becomes scarce.
That is why we have deer hunting seasons.:cool:

Fish simply do not posses the required brain structures in order to "feel" emotions.
At best they only experience the "fight or flight" response that is the most basic survival strategy built into darn near all living critters.

I agree more advanced animals, but fish I seriously don't agree with your assessment of their supposed feelings. People these days like to humanize their pets in order to connect with them on a emotional level. I think people miscontrue basic animal behavior like hunger, fear, and stress to those of humans like love, happines, joy, depression, and so forth.

I agree with you here, 99% animals besides a handful of the greater mammals either have no feelings or extremely limited primal "feelings/emotion". Dolphins, Primates, Some of the birds that mate for life, horses, and maybe and just maybe dogs/cats experience emotion anywhere near the level we experience.

HUH?
We hunt deer because we killed all their natural predators and if we didn't hunt them they would reproduce to the point of wiping out there habitat and then starving to death, not to mention the havoc they could wreak in suburban communities as the food becomes scarce.

I think you got me wrong. What I kind of meant is if deer had enough reasoning to make weapons and generally fight back, we wouldn't be hunting them, due to their reasoning skills. This goes back to fish meaning if fish had advanced emotions and the ability to reason, we probably would want to keep them ad pets, because they would always try to escape and things. I am a hunter myself, so I totally understand the reason we hunt them, I was just saying that as as example.

Fish simply do not posses the required brain structures in order to "feel" emotions.
At best they only experience the "fight or flight" response that is the most basic survival strategy built into darn near all living critters.

This.

I think the biggest part of the argument comes about by different definitions of the term "feelings". A lot of people make the connection that if an animal feels pain then it must have feelings.

I think a more accurate question is whether fish have emotions. And apart from some random anecdotal experiences often perpetuated by a loving anthropomorphizing owner, I've not seen much of anything.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you got me wrong. What I kind of meant is if deer had enough reasoning to make weapons and generally fight back, we wouldn't be hunting them, due to their reasoning skills. This goes back to fish meaning if fish had advanced emotions and the ability to reason, we probably would want to keep them ad pets, because they would always try to escape and things. I am a hunter myself, so I totally understand the reason we hunt them, I was just saying that as as example.

The problem with your analogy is that animals like pigs, for instance, are shown to be as smart or smarter than dogs and cats, but I sure love bacon.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HUH?

Well... Where I live the deer are getting scarcer every year. There are so many coyotes that they're getting all the fawns.

Fishobsessed7

Some of you remind me of those people who say dogs have no souls. A soul animates our bodies. Without it we may have movement and reaction to basic instinct but no interaction or learning. Animals learn, remember, and can think through problems more than most humans give them credit for. Humans also forget we are animals too. Each animal has it's own reality. Do fish need to build things beyond basic nests or shelter? For them, they have all the "brains" they need to live in their view of the world. Why does that make them less feeling? We do not live in their brain so can we really judge their level of feeling? People thought dogs, cats, elephants, primates, and mammals in general where stupid and served no other purpose than to be of use to humans. Researchers have discovered that most of them can think through things, interact with their environment, and have a social conscience. One day we may find out that the fish new a lot more than we give them credit for.

As to hunting. We are meat eaters. Yes, you can live on a vegan diet but most of the vegans I know have trouble getting the nutrients their body's need. I am not saying all vegans are wrong with their way of life. I am just saying it takes more energy than following an omnivore diet we were designed for. In my area the deer are multiplying like crazy. They are showing up in the middle of town. I have seen herds in front yards. People here have killed most of the major predictors because of unfounded fear of them.

I think it's pretty dumb to say they don't have feelings.. Any living thing with a brain has feelings and emotions. We don't know goes on in there tiny brain. The people on here trying to say animals don't have emotion or feelings are ignorant and probably shouldn't have any pets. Fish aren't going to have emotions about u because they r supposed to be in a lake or ocean and we keep them in little aquariums

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some of you remind me of those people who say dogs have no souls. A soul animates our bodies. Without it we may have movement and reaction to basic instinct but no interaction or learning. Animals learn, remember, and can think through problems more than most humans give them credit for. Humans also forget we are animals too. Each animal has it's own reality. Do fish need to build things beyond basic nests or shelter? For them, they have all the "brains" they need to live in their view of the world. Why does that make them less feeling? We do not live in their brain so can we really judge their level of feeling? People thought dogs, cats, elephants, primates, and mammals in general where stupid and served no other purpose than to be of use to humans. Researchers have discovered that most of them can think through things, interact with their environment, and have a social conscience. One day we may find out that the fish new a lot more than we give them credit for.

As to hunting. We are meat eaters. Yes, you can live on a vegan diet but most of the vegans I know have trouble getting the nutrients their body's need. I am not saying all vegans are wrong with their way of life. I am just saying it takes more energy than following an omnivore diet we were designed for. In my area the deer are multiplying like crazy. They are showing up in the middle of town. I have seen herds in front yards. People here have killed most of the major predictors because of unfounded fear of them.

Prove it... would anything with emotions consume the dead remains if something that was coexisting next to them hours before??

I think it's pretty dumb to say they don't have feelings.. Any living thing with a brain has feelings and emotions. We don't know goes on in there tiny brain. The people on here trying to say animals don't have emotion or feelings are ignorant and probably shouldn't have any pets. Fish aren't going to have emotions about u because they r supposed to be in a lake or ocean and we keep them in little aquariums

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom