proper filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USMCfishcrzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125g heavily planted tank. I have 24 different fish the biggest being 7 discus. I do have 1 Cory cat 2 pleco 5 mystery snails. Cycled and had the tank up for over 6 months. I have 2 emperor 400 hob and two small whisper filters
I know I need more filtration to handle the huge bioload I have. Problem is I can't drill I. The the top of the stand. The tank is between a wall and brick. Behind is is wood paneling. The stand is barely half an inch from the wall and I have about 7 inches between the wall and the back of the tank. I need something that is goin to fit and handle all of my bioload. Id love suggestions

Your easiest option to up biological filtration capacity is to add a large air driven sponge filter or two. It's really cheap to add and you do not need space between the tank and the wall to do so. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing option, but it will work great.

Probably. I didn't know you had CO2 injected. You could look into a canister filter if it is in the budget.

It deff would but I have absolutely no where to runs lines. Unless there is a filter out there that is 7" wide and can sit level with the tank

I really think the Fluval FX5 is going to be your best bet. If you look on Fleabay they can be bought new for $225 shipped.

I have been looking at canisters just have to see my options. I was also suggested a few sponge filters to go along with my hobs

It deff would but I have absolutely no where to runs lines. Unless there is a filter out there that is 7" wide and can sit level with the tank

I'm sorry, I am not understanding everything here. Do you not have any room under your stand for a canister? All of ours are in the stands, and then the hoses run up into the tank between the tank and the wall.

The stands top is 3" thick. It is pretty much bolted to the wall behind so the is no rheoom between the stand and the wall. The room between the tank and the wall is 9" on either side between a wall and brick is 1/2 an inch. So my only option was hob or if possible a smaller canister filter than can sit on the stand as well behind the tank.

It wasn't originally a tank stand it was just a big cabinet. I have some pictures onmy profile of the the tank

img_1382348_0_41a3767d37fed8d2432b720918eaa179.jpg

img_1382348_1_c76a1f9e4946bbe597fa28df4bb44500.jpg
img_1382348_2_6fef43576340f6929aeb8c8b591df1fe.jpg

Ok the puck helped alot. I do have a few ?s though. Is the back of the stand flush with the back wall? If not how much space is there. Second is the back of the tank flush with the back of the stand?

Ok the stand is flush with the wall, the tank how ever is about 8-9 inches from the the rear wall and 1/2" from the outside walls

mr.pro1987 said:
The stands top is 3" thick. It is pretty much bolted to the wall behind so the is no rheoom between the stand and the wall. The room between the tank and the wall is 9" on either side between a wall and brick is 1/2 an inch. So my only option was hob or if possible a smaller canister filter than can sit on the stand as well behind the tank.

Ok sorry I got it now. It sounds and looks to me that the best bet is to get a 3 1/2 to 4 inch circle drill bit and punch out a hole in the 9 in space in the stand between the wall and the tank and run the lines for a canister filter like the before suggested x5. Actually 2 off set holes in the back would work better given the length of the tank.

If I understand your set up right, and I think I do. Even though the tank is against the wall as long as there is hollow space inside the cabinet and the 8 or 9 inches between the back of the tank and the wall that should be enough room to get a hand drill back there to punch out those holes the the lines to run through. You will most likely have to take the hob filters off while you are doing this to make space for yourself, but you shouldn't have to move the tank.

Back
Top Bottom