Proper way to clean filter sponge and media??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I was doing a water change today with the GF. She wanted to clean the filter sponge in the sink. I yelled at her and told her she was nuts and not to use tap water.
I read that tap water will kill all the good bacteria.
So my question is, what is the proper way to clean the filter and media?
I have an AQ 500..
Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Richie

Hold the AC sponge in used tank water, squeeze the sponge a few times, put back into the tank, simple at that. Replace the sponge when it stops returning to its original position after being squeezed.

Rinsing in used tank water is the best way, but from experience I will tell you a little tap water on the sponges won't kill off all your bacteria :wink: Go give your GF a big hug, a dozen roses and apologize for yelling :D

ii live in the country (kinda) and i dont think i have chlorine in my water cuz i have a well. err this isnt really for the sponge but for the media itself i usually just use the hose outside. it does wonders.

I have some ceramic noodles for bacteria to grow on in my AC300 and rinse the sponge under tap water. Easier to get it clean that way, especially if I've slacked at all on cleaning it, and there's enough bacteria in the ceramic noodles to handle my bioload. So she's not completely nuts ;)

Back
Top Bottom