Pros and cons Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be starting my 55gal back up next month when I move and just wanted some info on canister filters?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Biggest filter you can get (apart from a sump). Can be customised with different media to suit.

Biggest filter you have to clean....

Canister Filters

I had hang on the back filters on my tanks for 4 years. I had to clean them once twice a week. I just clean the foam and others in water from the tank. DON'T clean in tap water. I set up another tank and tried a canister filter. I check the filter foam once a month. They haven't clogged except for the up pipe. I found a sale on Fluvial canisters and bought them for the other tanks. Never go back to HOB. Canisters are quiet and requires a lot less cleaning than HOB. Buy the largest one for your tank. It is worth the price.:cool:

When u say the biggest one do you mean get one for like a 75gal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a rena xpl on my 40 breeder made a spray bar for it out pvc outflow was crazy till the spray bar lol

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I used hang-on-back filters until recently... I moved to a pair of canister filters (100g each) for my 150g tank and have been very happy with them! So quiet, so much more surface area on the various filtration stages (and the ability to have stages you can maintain separately!)... can't see myself going back. Have a HOB filter on my smaller tank, planning to replace it.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom