Pros/Cons - More than 1 tank on same filtration system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
When Daniel and I get our own place (which now looks like it may be sooner than later :jump: ) we were thinking of hooking our fw tanks up to the same filtration system...with an overflow from one tank to the next.

What are the pros and cons to doing this? Would you recommend this? Also, if anyone has anything like this, do you have pictures? Or a sketch?

thanks!

I don't like the idea of it mainly because any tank problems or illness is spread to both/all tanks, and it means you have to treat more water and more fish.

What brought you to consider this option?

I think this would be more limiting than helpful Lori. :D

It was more Daniel's idea...and I didn't want to say no without researching first...

It's actually very common at many Fish Stores.
You'll occasionally see a bunch of tanks all on the same circuit with some heavy duty filtration in the back somewhere.
I would, however, think there is some safety in isolating the two environments. Jeff

With many tanks it saves money on electricity and maintenance. With a few tanks I think it would actually be less cost effective. JMO

as a novice... i have thought about this myself, it doesnt sound such a silly idea to me. I understand the infection risk, however would it not be just like having one large tank with a divider? by that i mean you would be treating a larger amount of water therefore a more stable environment? Also you could run a better filter (not sure what size tanks or filters you have now) ie one canister for both tanks intake in one and output in the other, but also small power filters in each... im rambling now, but i think it does have some pro's also. But like i said, im a novice!

right now we have a 46 gallon and a 20 gallon.

We have an empty 10 gallon which we would set up as a qt tank and would obviously be on it's own filtration...

We were also thinking it would save time on water changes..kill 2 birds with one stone...

I don't think it would be a mistake, per se.
You would have a smaller margin of error. If something screwed up, you would take out two tanks rather than just one. There would be more criticial components and less redundancy. Jeff

The expense in setting it up alone would cost more than 2 filters.

You couldn't use the intake and outflow from 1 cannister filter because you would drain one tank, and over flow the other. It would have to be fine tuned through seperate intakes and outflows through some sort of sump.

honestly if you can keep two seperate tanks healthy at the smae time why not two? i mean see the point, but i've never had "disease or sickness" problems. maybe i'm just lucky like that.
i say my lfs runs a TON of tanks off one system and i'm highly impressed. theres like 6 stores here, but only one is good. anyway i say try it. BUT you have to be moving 10% an hour so two tanks doubles that flow, and the easiest way would be to drill
just MO

Ever notice how ocasionally "daisy chain" pet stores have an entire section of tanks QT'ed "not for sale". Think about it.

sure but i also notice how soem sections are never on QT and of course we wont be getting whole stocks of new fish on wed's. i mean i wouldnt reccomend it either but if someone wants to experiment i'd like to see the results as well

We have a UV sterilizer that would be running with the tanks. Does this make a difference?

Yes, that does make a difference. From what I understand, you need to replace the bulb before it burns out to ensure it is sterilizing. I can't remember where I heard that, so please double check.

Back
Top Bottom