Pros or cons of painting a back round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Youre fine. I would agree with you and prefer using plastidip over a paper or vinyl application.

Have you ever used plastidip? Itll look great from the front...and on the back, where applied, a semi-textured, matte black finish...thats completely removable within 2 minutes.

Yes I have used it before but never thought about a background on a tank.:popcorn:

I'm in high school rn. But when I get out at 3:30. I'll start taking down my tank. I hope I can keep my fish and plants alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was going to say, it may be easier to just mask off the surrounding areas and spray the tank as is instead of breaking it down. Should only need 2 coats.

I'm moving so the tank is coming down regardless.

ah, nice tank! I just started with one broadleaf and its not doing too well.

how many coats did you do?

It IS on a very slick surface.

You can just hotlink the pictures in your post...

Before:

img_3034023_0_d716e59f1d4350a7f339d56040f7c386.jpg

After:

img_3034023_1_371a8c0c1c292d51157d6314aa4d7cf2.jpg

I did two and started with a third when i ran out of paint.

I painted the back of my 15g a bright blue. Looks fresh and fun. I love how my fish look so vibrant against the color.

I painted the 55g white to match the wall color. Again the fish colors pop! I love how I can't see any cords. I can see why people would do black too. Then the filters wouldn't be so obvious. It just didn't work for the rooms the tanks are in.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Congratulations! I'm not great at aquascaping, so I sympathize with feeling not thrilled. I noticed lately that I love tanks that have a bushy area, and that have the plants taller around the edges. Yours will probably change as they grow, right? Maybe pruning them a bit would make you happier.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I was trying to get the jungle feel on the one side. I actually trimmed some of the plants recently.

Did the plastidip stick to the glass fairly easily?

How hard was it to paint?

Yes, but when I tried to get the tape off it sorta pelled the paint. Luckily the gravel covered that up. Also when I was adjusting the filter input and output it scratched the paint. It's not too visible from the inside. But other than that i like it.

Back
Top Bottom