Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ttopmustanggt88 Send a message via MSN to ttopmustanggt88 Send a message via Yahoo to ttopmustanggt88
protein skimmers on freshwater?

just as title says does any use one on a freshwater tank. is it worth it. i really like to overkill filtering and what not and my cousin had one from saltwater tank he had and put it on his freshwater and said its a must have. if you do what pros and cons. and what skimmer would you recomend. only a 55 gallon here so i dont need anything huge. thanks josh

Old 02-02-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
my cousin had one from saltwater tank he had and put it on his freshwater and said its a must have.
Just curious, did he say why? I believe the only benefit in FW is no surface film. There are much cheaper solutions: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic....624&highlight=

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ttopmustanggt88 Send a message via MSN to ttopmustanggt88 Send a message via Yahoo to ttopmustanggt88
he said his water was pretty clear and after 2 days of having it running it was crystal clear and the trap on the skimmer had alot of red water in it????
Old 02-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

8O

Way past my limited level of understanding. Does he have red substrate?

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
How can that be? I picked up a protein skimmer for $10 today ... regular price of $200

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

no has natural colored gravel. after 2 days it turned to a faint pink then finally went away. now its just greasy looking water.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
serlunchalot you are so into that new protein skimmer. although it is a very nice steal. but to the fresh water skimmer. it might help some, but its defenatly not as usful as it would be on a sw. by the way. skimmers arn't neary as effecient on fw. i wouldn't say its a must but if you have the money to spend
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KaiserFish
Lunch... you picked up a $200 protein skimmer where for $10?

Tags
freshwater, protein, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com