Pruning Anubias & Heater Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BustedFrontBumper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think the title sums it up, but for detail:

1 I have a friend who has two HUGE anubias. We want to know how to trim them down so that I can have some trimmings that will grow in mine and he has some more space in his tank without killing the growth of his plants. Any ideas on where along the plant to snip?

2 I just bought an Eheim Jager 300w heater for my 45 gal. (too late now, but is that overkill?) it sits down in my unheated basement and the two smaller heaters I have in there were/are struggling. Because heat rises, and my tank is 21" tall, I wonder if I need to put the heater towards the bottom. I see some tanks have the heater canted at an angle or even along the top. Would that be okay? Or would the water at the bottom of my tank always stay a little cooler?

thanks for the great responses so far!

to cut the anubis all you have to do is cut somewhere in the rhizome (the bottom root looking part). When you make this cut make sure both pieces will have at least 2-3 leaves on them. Also use something very sharp to make this cut, razor blade would be prefered.

as for the heater, i use a 150W and a 200W heater in my 38 gallon (both on opposite ends of the tank) to keep the tank stable at 78 degrees, i do this because my house is at a constant 66 degrees, anyways it works fine for me, my temp is never above 78.5 and never below 77.5 and it does not seem like either heaters are working too hard, also thats 450W for a 38 gallon so i think you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom